Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jocelyn De Contents Jocelyn De Contents is offline

Default Crushed tomatoes/whole canned tomatoes

biig wrote:
> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

A large can of crushed tomatoes represents quite a few more whole
tomatoes (crushed) than would be in a can of actual "whole tomatoes".
So essentially you added too many tomatoes to your soup. As Joe
said...use less next time or just be sure you have what you need for
your recipe before you begin to make it. I see that quite a bit around
these parts--that is, people not being "mise en place" and scrambling
to make substitutions. And then they wonder why it doesn't taste
good..or taste the same. *shrugs* Shop before you chop!