Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Crushed tomatoes/whole canned tomatoes

In article >, biig > wrote:

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

Apparently there is. :-)
Next time use less. I use tomato powder (quantity at my discretion) for
tomato flavor in stuff like that. Or juice. And I don't ever measure
anything when making soup so maybe the poster of that recipe doesn't
measure but was just guessing at amounts -- and guessed wrong for some
of the measures. (I haven't looked at the recipe.)

Was this vegetable soup with barley? When I do that, I cook the beef
bones first with a bay leaf, celery and onion, s&p, then drain and toss
the veggies. I separate the meat from the bones and chill the broth for
easy removal of the layer of fat. If I use barley in the soup, I cook
it first, drain, and add it near the end of the cook time. Vegetables
are typically celery, carrot, onion, green beans, peas, corn, maybe
cabbage. A little tomato powder added to the beef broth. I add the
meat towards the end of the cook time. I made a killer batch of it a
few weeks ago. Ohyeah!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -