Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito Mr Libido Incognito is offline

Default silly question

It came to my attention awhile ago the there are semi-fixed temperatures
ranges and oil amounts for panfry and sautee. That panfry temps are a
little lower than the sautee temps and requires more oil. But what is the
cooking method that requires a little higher temp and more oil than sautee?

In the past I always used the term panfry as meaning cooked in a pan with
say 1/8 to 1/4 inch oil at the higher end of medium high; where I should of
used a different term.

And for sautee the medium range of medium high with just enough oil to
barely cover the pan.

News to me:
Apparently pan frying reqiures a slightly lower temp than sautee.