Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin Matthew L. Martin is offline

Default BTU cooking table?

Jack wrote:
> On 1/11/07 12:59 AM, in article ,
> "Cape Cod Bob" > wrote:
>
>> The P24WKBS Thermador 24'' Single Burner gets up to 30,000 BTUs but
>> requires it be built in to the countertop as a surface burners or
>> stoves are. True professional wok burners get in the 100,000 BTU
>> range, but require special plumbing and are often against local codes
>> and insurance companies will void homeowner policies because of them.
>> That was what I found out in both MAssachusetts and New Jersey.

> Exactly what insurance agency that writes policies in NJ told you you can't
> have a high-power wok burner in a home? And what municipality in NJ said it
> was against their building codes? Not all building codes in NJ are uniform.
>
> And what person tells his or her insurance agency what kind of appliances
> they have in their own home?

Insurance companies make the rules. I lost coverage when my HOI company
sent an inspector. They don't cover people who keep horses on their
property. I've heard of people being denied coverage because they own
"vicious" breeds of dogs or have swimming pools. It is up to the company
what kind and level of risk they are willing to underwrite.

It's better to have coverage that may cost you a bit more than having
your claims denied because your home was in violation of the policy.

Matthew

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?