Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 2-Alarm chili mix

In article >,
Scott > wrote:
wrote:

>>> duplicate the recipe it just doesn't taste right.

>> Are you using masa to thicken it as is the last step in the mix? That
>> may be the flavor difference
>> redbird in MT
>>

>I never did used the thicken mix in the first place. Next time I will
>use it since I still have the bag from the last package mix.

Scott, You will get real close by de-seeding, toasting and grinding:
4 anchos
1 dried New Mexico or Anaheim (hot or mild your choice)
1 Guajillo
1 Chili de Arbol or japonese or cayanne etc.

after grinding, mix the chiles and use the amount you prefer (I like
about a half a cup just like the 2 -alarm for 2lbs of meat) as your
"pure chile powder" This is a good base to start with.

Then you can add more of one chile the next time or add chipotles,
pasilla, or what have you, till you have your own blend.

Regards

--
Return address invalid due to spam.