Old 11-01-2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 2-Alarm chili mix

I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott

Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott

Is that measurement the package of 2 alarm chili? Doesn't it include
fillers or ingredients other than spices?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Scott wrote:
I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs
meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott

Is that measurement the package of 2 alarm chili? Doesn't it include
fillers or ingredients other than spices?

It's in separate packages. Here's what I measured (for 2lbs meat):
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
4 teaspoons cumin/oregano
1 1/2 tablespoon dried onion/garlic flakes
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott

I agree that seems like way too much chili powder for a mild recipe. Try
1 tablespoon and see how you like it 30 minutes later. It might need a
2nd spoon, depending on what the ground red pepper does to it.

Dawn

Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"

Steve

PS What is "2 Alarm chili" ? A brand ? A restaurant ?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"

Steve

PS What is "2 Alarm chili" ? A brand ? A restaurant ?

It's a spice package that you can find in just about any grocery store.
It's official name is 'Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm chili kit'.
http://www.foodlocker.com/twoalchilmix.html
Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"

People like you shouldn't make chili. What's the ****ing point of 1
tsp chili powder for 2 lbs of meat? Moron.

Just stick to your poached eggs and farina, you obviously can't handle
anything stronger.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

What I would like to say to this plank is

"Oh Dear, did we get out of the wrong side of the pram this morning
Diddums. Perhaps someone will come along and change your nappy and
you'll feel better."

but I'm not that rude.

What I will say is

" Depends on the strength of your chili powder and your personal tastes.
Our chili powder comes from an Indian grocer in the UK and is hot enough
for us, the added heat from the fresh pepper makes it just right"

Steve

Old 11-01-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott

When I used this mix I used only half of the chili powder packet. Let
us know
what the final recipe is.
redbird in MT

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 2:39 pm, Scott wrote:
wrote:
Scott wrote:
I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott

When I used this mix I used only half of the chili powder packet. Let
us know
what the final recipe is.
redbird in MTWhen I used the package as directed it turns out great but when I try to

duplicate the recipe it just doesn't taste right.

Are you using masa to thicken it as is the last step in the mix? That
may be the flavor difference
redbird in MT

Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Scott wrote:
wrote:
Scott wrote:
I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.

The mix is cheap. Is there a reason you are trying to duplicate it
at home? (sodium content, perhaps?) I found the following link
which is *purported* to be the original mixture used by Wick Fowler
prior to his marketing the mix. (I certainly can't attest to the
veracity of this claim.)

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...hili+recipe179

Thanks for the link
I wonder why that recipe calls for only 3 heaping tbs of chili powder
when in the package mix it uses 1/2 cup.

Because it also uses dried "japanese chilis" (I have no idea what those are)
and "chilipiquins" (ditto)?

I'm trying to duplicate so I won't have to depend on buying the spice
package mix and also I believe that I'll be using higher quality
spices.

That makes sense, I guess

Jill