Posted to rec.food.cooking
Linda Linda is offline

Default 2-Alarm chili mix

I've done this one, and to duplicate it with the 1/2 C chili powder,
you have to use what I call the "grocery store" chili powder as opposed
to pure chili powder made completely from ground dried chili peppers.
For a pure chili powder I started with a few tablespoonfuls and kept on
adding and tasting (but unfortunately didn't keep track, as usual, so
I'll have to do this again next time I make it)-the amount should vary
greatly based on the strength of the powder and your preference. I
also fooled with using diced onions and minced garlic instead of the
dried stuff. The garlic was a good change, but the onions didn't give
the same taste and changed the texture (not bad, but not imitating the
2 Alarm product if that's what you're trying to do). There are alot of
great chili recipes out there, but my kids prefer this type.