Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan
Jnospam[_1_] Jnospam[_1_] is offline

Default looking for simple indian recipes (vegetarian)

In rec.food.cooking Jude > wrote:
> nemo wrote:
> > Only cook whole spices; the actual seeds. Never fry powdered spices. They'll
> > just burn. Put them in once the veggies are simmering.

> I've never had a problem with this if I'm using a low heat.

I always saute the onions in fat for about 5 minutes, then
toss in the fresh garlic, ginger, and chiles and dried spices, then
saute for another minute or two. No burned spices here. It probably
isn't as much a saute, or fry, as a poaching in oil. I don't like
to brown the garlic. I just cook until fragrant, then add liquid.

> > Again, only cook or toast whole spices; the actual seeds. Never toast
> > powdered spices

> I've done it many times with no ill results. Also very often add the
> powdered spcies to the sauteeng onions, garlic, etc and cooked in the
> flavors ffor a few minutes before adding liquid ingredients. I find
> this brings up the flavors much more clearly.

Yup. Same with Thai curries. I fry the curry paste in
coconut milk (the fatty part from the top of the can) to bring out the
flavor and aromas.

Jnospam