Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

Default looking for simple indian recipes (vegetarian)

Hi,

I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.

I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
on the web, can someone recommend a book?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

On 2007-01-01, > wrote:

> I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
> getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.

Try he

http://www.gadnet.com/recipes.htm

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

Amanda wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
> > getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.
> >
> > I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
> > completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
> > on the web, can someone recommend a book?

> I just googled it with "chana dal" and got this:

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

Since I don't like complication, I chose "simple chama dal" and it is:

(Note: You can buy Garam Masala; BTW, I would have a meat dish also,
curry or kabob)

Ingredients:

2 cups (uncooked) chana dal

6 cups water

1 large onion

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garam masala1

salt to taste

Preparation:

Simmer dal until tender. Purée part of it. Carmelize onion in a bit of
olive oil. Add garam masala and simmer a bit more. Add onions to dal.

Serving suggestions:

Serve over a bed of one-half rice and one-half barley. Top with
fat-free sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.

Notes:

1Garam masala is a mixture of fragrant, pulverized spices. In Bengal it
consists of cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. In other parts of India it
may also include black peppercorns, nutmeg, coriander, and other
spices. All Indian stores sell ground garam masala.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

> wrote:

> I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes.

See the List o'Links for alt.food.asian posted occasionally by
blacksalt. You can also find it at
<http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/afa_faq.html>. I have just culled
some dead links from the Indian section.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

Rusty wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
> > getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.
> >
> > I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
> > completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
> > on the web, can someone recommend a book?

> Red Lentil Spinach Stew
>
> 2 Tbs olive oil
> 1 medium onion (or 1 cup) - diced
> 5 cups water (or vegetable broth)
> 2 cups dry red lentils
> 2 cups (or 28-oz can) diced tomatoes
> 1-1/2 cups (or 10-oz pk) thawed spinach
> 2 Tbs butter
> 2 tsp dried basil
> 1-1/2 tsp cardamom powder
> 1 tsp ground cumin
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp curry powder
> 1/2 tsp garlic powder
> 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
> a pinch to 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
>

> In a 5-qt stockpot, fry onions in olive oil until browned.
>
> Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
>
> Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30-minutes,
> stirring occasionally, until lentils are done.
>
> Partly blend with stick blender.
>
> Serve with yogurt.
>
> Makes 8-cups.
>

> Rusty

I;ve been told to always cook the spices seperately in a dry skillet
before adding them. Does it work to just dump in the cumin, coriander,
etc with the rest of the ingredients??

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
> getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.
>
> I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
> completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
> on the web, can someone recommend a book?

for great veg recipes:
1. the pleasure of indian vegetrain cooking - tarla dalal (authentic)
2. the art of indian vegetarain cooking - yamuna devi (satvik style; no
onions, no garlic)

for greatest satisfaction, pls recite a bhojan-mantra at the beginning and
then play pundit jasraj's songs at low volume during dinner.

om shanti.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan
sd sd is offline

In article . com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> I;ve been told to always cook the spices seperately in a dry skillet
> before adding them. Does it work to just dump in the cumin, coriander,
> etc with the rest of the ingredients??

It works the way any other recipe substitution works: if you like
the taste, then it's okay (though maybe not authentic).

I would, however, recommend toasting the spices the first time you
make a recipe. Toasting really does change the flavor of a spice, as
does crushing it before use (or toasting _and_ crushing it). I was
given an object lesson in that from a native Indian cook.

sd

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

"sd" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> "Jude" > wrote:
>
>> I;ve been told to always cook the spices seperately in a dry skillet
>> before adding them. Does it work to just dump in the cumin, coriander,
>> etc with the rest of the ingredients??

> It works the way any other recipe substitution works: if you like
> the taste, then it's okay (though maybe not authentic).
>
> I would, however, recommend toasting the spices the first time you
> make a recipe. Toasting really does change the flavor of a spice, as
> does crushing it before use (or toasting _and_ crushing it). I was
> given an object lesson in that from a native Indian cook.

I recommend toasting the spices as well. I recently made a lentil/mushroom
dish where the spices were added into the water that the lentils were cooked
it (and this was per the recipe). The dish ended up pretty much tasting like
dirt.

Robyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

Robibnikoff wrote:
> "sd" > wrote in message
> > In article . com>,
> > "Jude" > wrote:
> >
> >> I;ve been told to always cook the spices seperately in a dry skillet
> >> before adding them. Does it work to just dump in the cumin, coriander,
> >> etc with the rest of the ingredients??

> > It works the way any other recipe substitution works: if you like
> > the taste, then it's okay (though maybe not authentic).
> >
> > I would, however, recommend toasting the spices the first time you
> > make a recipe. Toasting really does change the flavor of a spice, as
> > does crushing it before use (or toasting _and_ crushing it). I was
> > given an object lesson in that from a native Indian cook.

> I recommend toasting the spices as well. I recently made a lentil/mushroom
> dish where the spices were added into the water that the lentils were cooked
> it (and this was per the recipe). The dish ended up pretty much tasting like
> dirt.
>
> Robyn

sounds like a good combo.....would you post the recipe if i promise to
tast my spices first? =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Robibnikoff wrote:
> > "sd" > wrote in message

coriander,

Only cook whole spices; the actual seeds. Never fry powdered spices. They'll
just burn. Put them in once the veggies are simmering.

> > > It works the way any other recipe substitution works: if you like
> > > the taste, then it's okay (though maybe not authentic).
> > >
> > > I would, however, recommend toasting the spices the first time you
> > > make a recipe. Toasting really does change the flavor of a spice, as
> > > does crushing it before use (or toasting _and_ crushing it). I was
> > > given an object lesson in that from a native Indian cook.

Again, only cook or toast whole spices; the actual seeds. Never toast
powdered spices

> > I recommend toasting the spices as well. I recently made a

lentil/mushroom
> > dish where the spices were added into the water that the lentils were

cooked
> > it (and this was per the recipe). The dish ended up pretty much tasting

like
> > dirt.

This doesn't always happen. Adding the cumin and ajwain (lovage) seeds to
the water when boiling up soya chunks works very well indeed. And for
curries, black eye peas, chick peas and mung beans work much better than the
ubiquitous lentil.
Nemo

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Robibnikoff wrote:
>> "sd" > wrote in message

>> > It works the way any other recipe substitution works: if you like
>> > the taste, then it's okay (though maybe not authentic).
>> >
>> > I would, however, recommend toasting the spices the first time you
>> > make a recipe. Toasting really does change the flavor of a spice, as
>> > does crushing it before use (or toasting _and_ crushing it). I was
>> > given an object lesson in that from a native Indian cook.

>> I recommend toasting the spices as well. I recently made a
>> lentil/mushroom
>> dish where the spices were added into the water that the lentils were
>> cooked
>> it (and this was per the recipe). The dish ended up pretty much tasting
>> like
>> dirt.
>>
>> Robyn

> sounds like a good combo.....would you post the recipe if i promise to
> tast my spices first? =)

Sure - I'll just modify it so it comes out tasting edible

Robyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:
> "Jude" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Robibnikoff wrote:

> coriander,

> Only cook whole spices; the actual seeds. Never fry powdered spices. They'll
> just burn. Put them in once the veggies are simmering.

I've never had a problem with this if I'm using a low heat.

> Again, only cook or toast whole spices; the actual seeds. Never toast
> powdered spices

I've done it many times with no ill results. Also very often add the
powdered spcies to the sauteeng onions, garlic, etc and cooked in the
flavors ffor a few minutes before adding liquid ingredients. I find
this brings up the flavors much more clearly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

In rec.food.cooking Jude > wrote:
> nemo wrote:
> > Only cook whole spices; the actual seeds. Never fry powdered spices. They'll
> > just burn. Put them in once the veggies are simmering.

> I've never had a problem with this if I'm using a low heat.

I always saute the onions in fat for about 5 minutes, then
toss in the fresh garlic, ginger, and chiles and dried spices, then
saute for another minute or two. No burned spices here. It probably
isn't as much a saute, or fry, as a poaching in oil. I don't like
to brown the garlic. I just cook until fragrant, then add liquid.

> > Again, only cook or toast whole spices; the actual seeds. Never toast
> > powdered spices

> I've done it many times with no ill results. Also very often add the
> powdered spcies to the sauteeng onions, garlic, etc and cooked in the
> flavors ffor a few minutes before adding liquid ingredients. I find
> this brings up the flavors much more clearly.

Yup. Same with Thai curries. I fry the curry paste in
coconut milk (the fatty part from the top of the can) to bring out the
flavor and aromas.

Jnospam

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

"Jnospam" > wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking Jude > wrote:
> > nemo wrote:
> > > Only cook whole spices; the actual seeds. Never fry powdered spices.

They'll
> > > just burn. Put them in once the veggies are simmering.

> > I've never had a problem with this if I'm using a low heat.

> I always saute the onions in fat for about 5 minutes, then
> toss in the fresh garlic, ginger, and chiles and dried spices, then
> saute for another minute or two. No burned spices here. It probably
> isn't as much a saute, or fry, as a poaching in oil. I don't like
> to brown the garlic. I just cook until fragrant, then add liquid.

That's OK. But I took 'toast' to mean the practice of giving spices such as
jeera, ajwain, dhanya seeds and mustard seeds a very brief roast in very hot
oil on their own like you do for authentic Dal for instance, then adding the
onions etc.- . That'd kill powdered spices.