Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell Leonard Blaisdell is offline

Default Outstanding Beef Barley Soup Recipe

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Lynne, what kind of barley did you use? I ask b/c I make a vegetable
> beef soup that calls for barley and, while I've used pearl barley, I
> got my hands on pot barley once and found it far, far superior.
> Doesn't get mushy like pearl barley does. That said, the only place I
> could *find* pot barley was in a 10 lb. sack, so if anyone wants to
> try out pot barley...lemmeno.

I boil pearl barley by itself for forty five minutes, drain and reserve
in the fridge. I add it back to the soup about five minutes before
serving. That works great, and it is definitely not mushy. Frankly, I
cook diced potatoes and carrots and reserve them in the fridge before
adding them to a beef soup at the same time that I do the barley.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>