Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Outstanding Beef Barley Soup Recipe

Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be. Hubby
wasn't too happy when I said "Beef Barley soup for dinner tonight." He said
it wasn't his favorite, but he'd eat it. He's been working on the grout and
caulking in the bathroom. He'd come out and make comments... first comment:
That beef sure smells good when you brown it. Comment #2: Smells like
you're making stew. Comment #3: Sure looks good. When will it be ready?
And finally Comment #4: This is sure different from what I've had in the
past. The beef is so fresh and I really like all the vegetables in this
delicious broth. He ate 4 bowls. Good thing I doubled the batch just
incase. I suspect he's only had canned Beef Barley soup.

As per Nancy's notes I doubled the marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. MSG I
don't own any. I only had petite cut canned tomatoes, which worked out
nicely. Turned out perfect. On my way to freeze some before hubby eats it
all up.

Lynne

Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
the seasonings. nancy)

1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley

Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"King's Crown" wrote

Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be.

Wow! I'm telling you, straight out of Betty Crocker. Sure sounded
a lot better than what you were finding, spaghetti sauce, ground beef?
Nah.

Hubby wasn't too happy when I said "Beef Barley soup for dinner tonight."
He said it wasn't his favorite, but he'd eat it. He's been working on the
grout and caulking in the bathroom. He'd come out and make comments...
first comment: That beef sure smells good when you brown it. Comment #2:
Smells like you're making stew.

I was going to mention, when you're making this soup, it smells *great*.

Comment #3: Sure looks good. When will it be ready? And finally Comment
#4: This is sure different from what I've had in the past. The beef is
so fresh and I really like all the vegetables in this delicious broth. He
ate 4 bowls. Good thing I doubled the batch just incase. I suspect he's
only had canned Beef Barley soup.

I'm really happy you liked it. I'm always a little nervous posting
recipes because you never know if it's going to be to someone else's
taste.

As per Nancy's notes I doubled the marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. MSG I
don't own any. I only had petite cut canned tomatoes, which worked out
nicely. Turned out perfect. On my way to freeze some before hubby eats
it all up.

All it needs is a slice of seeded rye bread and butter. Lynne, thanks
for the note. Made me smile while I'm just waking up.

nancy

Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
"King's Crown" wrote

Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be.

Wow! I'm telling you, straight out of Betty Crocker. Sure sounded
a lot better than what you were finding, spaghetti sauce, ground beef?
Nah.

I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like Betty
Crocker excels at.

And I too have never heard of ground beef or "spaghetti sauce" used in one.
Now my father did make a great Patate Zuppe that sometimes used a bit of
leftover tomato sauce and the meatballs had ground beef....

Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

Wow! I'm telling you, straight out of Betty Crocker. Sure sounded
a lot better than what you were finding, spaghetti sauce, ground beef?
Nah.

I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like Betty
Crocker excels at.

And I, for one, appreciate that. When I just want a recipe
for (whatever), I look at those types of cookbooks first. Then
I mess with the recipe if I feel like it.

And I too have never heard of ground beef or "spaghetti sauce" used in
one.
Now my father did make a great Patate Zuppe that sometimes used a bit of
leftover tomato sauce and the meatballs had ground beef....

I have nothing against either ingredient, just they don't say
beef barley soup to me.

nancy

Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like Betty
Crocker excels at.

And I too have never heard of ground beef or "spaghetti sauce" used in
one.
Now my father did make a great Patate Zuppe that sometimes used a bit of
leftover tomato sauce and the meatballs had ground beef....

I was researching the net while RCS chatting last night looking for a good
basic Beef Barley Soup and those are the things I found in different
recipes.... ground beef, 1 cup of spaghetti sauce, acorn squash...a squirt
of ketchup. I was getting grossed out. LOL Then Nancy to the rescue.

Lynne

Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:
I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like
Betty Crocker excels at.

And I too have never heard of ground beef or "spaghetti sauce" used
in one.
Now my father did make a great Patate Zuppe that sometimes used a
bit of leftover tomato sauce and the meatballs had ground beef....

I was researching the net while RCS chatting last night looking for a
good basic Beef Barley Soup and those are the things I found in
different recipes.... ground beef, 1 cup of spaghetti sauce, acorn
squash...a squirt of ketchup. I was getting grossed out. LOL Then
Nancy to the rescue.

Lynne

I cannot understand ground beef and spaghetti sauce, ketchup???? EWWWW!,
either. Perhaps those recipes are geared towards the pre-packaged food
crowd who want to pretend they are making something from scratch? Acorn
squash makes absolutely NO sense in beef/barley soup!

Jill

Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
King's Crown wrote:
[...]

Sounds like they're geared toward a bunch of drunk frat boys who need lots
of taste to cut through the beer haze.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"King's Crown" wrote in message
[...]

==============
I love Beef Barley soup; one of my favorite soups. That was a funny.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Acorn squash makes absolutely NO sense in beef/barley soup!

Jill

I agree. It was a Martha Stewart recipe. Does that help explain things.

Lynne

Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:59:44 -0800, "King's Crown"
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be.

snip

Lynne, what kind of barley did you use? I ask b/c I make a vegetable
beef soup that calls for barley and, while I've used pearl barley, I
got my hands on pot barley once and found it far, far superior.
Doesn't get mushy like pearl barley does. That said, the only place I
could *find* pot barley was in a 10 lb. sack, so if anyone wants to
try out pot barley...lemmeno.

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and
then beat you with experience."

Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:58:27 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:59:44 -0800, "King's Crown"
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be.

snip

Lynne, what kind of barley did you use? I ask b/c I make a vegetable
beef soup that calls for barley and, while I've used pearl barley, I
got my hands on pot barley once and found it far, far superior.
Doesn't get mushy like pearl barley does. That said, the only place I
could *find* pot barley was in a 10 lb. sack, so if anyone wants to
try out pot barley...lemmeno.

You can find hulled barley at Whole Foods, in the bulk food section.
Not sure if it is the same thing as pot barley.

Christine
Old 06-01-2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:57:34 -0500, Goomba38
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like Betty
Crocker excels at.

snip

I learned to cook - literally - with _Better Homes and Garden's
Cookbook_ ca. 1968. It had great basic recipes and even better
explanations on things like different cuts of meat, kitchen
terminology, cooking times, "a Jerusalem artichoke is...,"etc. It also
had some recipes that I use to this day (a *killer* shish ke bab
marinade and basting sauce, for instance). Between BH&G's cookbook and
_Joy of Cooking_, I never poisoned anyone...at least, anyone who lived
to tell the tale g and it led to a passion for cooking. I still
occasionally consult the old BH&G when comfort food (or shish ke bab)
is called for!

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:

That beef sure smells good when you brown it. Comment #2: Smells like
you're making stew. Comment #3: Sure looks good. When will it be ready?
And finally Comment #4: This is sure different from what I've had in the
past.

After reading your recipe it sounds like you're descibing dog shit,
good thing we didn't step in it.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:06:56 -0800, "King's Crown"
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

Acorn squash makes absolutely NO sense in beef/barley soup!

Jill

I agree. It was a Martha Stewart recipe. Does that help explain things.

OMG, that entirely explains things - I tried one of her _Entertaining_
recipes way back when (and I mean, when the cookbook first came out
and I was given it as a gift) b/c it looked festive, for a Christmas
party. It was, IIRC, cherry tomatoes, scooped out, with a dollop of
some sort of sour cream mixture inserted, and crowned with red or gold
caviar. By the time I was ready to plate the dish, the caviar color
had run into the sour cream and it looked d-i-s-g-u-s-t-i-n-g! And it
didn't taste like anything. Just blah! Typical MS dish, you ask me. I
even popped for good caviar, b/c not much was needed :-(

Terry Pulliam Burd

Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

Lynne, what kind of barley did you use? I ask b/c I make a vegetable
beef soup that calls for barley and, while I've used pearl barley, I
got my hands on pot barley once and found it far, far superior.
Doesn't get mushy like pearl barley does. That said, the only place I
could *find* pot barley was in a 10 lb. sack, so if anyone wants to
try out pot barley...lemmeno.

I boil pearl barley by itself for forty five minutes, drain and reserve
in the fridge. I add it back to the soup about five minutes before
serving. That works great, and it is definitely not mushy. Frankly, I
cook diced potatoes and carrots and reserve them in the fridge before
adding them to a beef soup at the same time that I do the barley.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

Beef Barley Soup - a thank you King's Crown[_2_] General Cooking 2 15-11-2008 04:11 AM
beef barley soup a maybe recipe...it keeps changing. Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 1 13-03-2006 10:25 PM
Beef Barley Soup Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 01:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 01:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup 2 Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 01:36 AM