ConnieG999

Default Egg Spots and New Frig

"mary" > writes:

>Have
>they eliminated the "spots" because the common thought is that if you take
>your eggs out of the carton they will take on oders from the fridge or do
>people buy less eggs. Or does salamalila have anything to do with it.

Most egg producers now have recommended that eggs not be stored in the door of
the refrigerator because it's the warmest place in the whole unit, being waved
around in the room air every time he door is opened. And most of the newer
refrigerator model makers have taken any legal responsibility for salmonella,
etc., off themselves by not providing the egg trays.

From the American Egg Board:
To guard against breakage and odor absorption and to help prevent the loss of
carbon dioxide and moisture which lowers egg quality, store raw shell eggs in
their cartons. Place egg cartons on a middle or lower shelf where the
temperature will fluctuate less than on the door. Refrigerated raw shell eggs
will keep without significant quality loss for about 4 to 5 weeks beyond the
pack date or about 3 weeks after you bring them home.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.