Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default I'm so excited! Fresh masa dough!

(TammyM) wrote:

>>>I've read that one can make an "acceptable" dough
>>>from masa harina, but that it is inferior to using fresh masa dough.
>>>Doesn't sound like that's your experience. If I can't find the fresh
>>>stuff, I'll give it a whirl with masa harina.

>>LOLOL... how do you think "fresh masa" is made?

>Masa harina is made from hominy, masa is made from corn.
>
>"Fresh" masa is masa which has not been dried then reconstituted
>(i.e. it is the dough resulting from the initial boil-down of
>the corn).
>
>So there's at least four possible variations here that I can
>think of.

Sorry, Steve. My bad. I think reconstituting the dry stuff is such a
pain in the *ss that any time I can buy it premade, I do and it's
"fresh" to me! Making the "real" *fresh* is not even a consideration.
There are a least a gazillion other ways I'd rather spend my time in
the kitchen.

--
See return address to reply by email