Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm so excited! Fresh masa dough!

Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!

So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
Tons and tons of tamales! Yum. So, I think to
myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be great to be able to
make them using fresh masa dough?" So, then I
think to myself, "Gee, I wonder if it's possible
that Reyna Foods (our lone Mexican grocer in the
Strip District, who also make their own tortilla
chips - I *love* their blue corn tortilla chips -
in a small factory nearby) might have fresh masa
available?" So, I call them up and say, "Hi. I
realize it's a billion to one shot but I was wondering
if there's any chance you might have any fresh masa
dough?" Well, imagine my surprise and delight when
they told me that yes I might be able to get some.
They were probably going to make another batch before
Xmas. So she took my name and number and said she'd
call me this week if they made it. Yesterday I got
the call, "Your fresh masa order is ready." Whoopee!
So today I am off to the Strip at noon. (We get off
early today for the holiday.) Boyoboyoboy. I can't wait.
I will also stock up on all the other ingredients I need
for my tamales and other goodies.

I'm having a party next Thursday. I will have the tamales,
of course, plus other Mexican, Mexican-like, and Latin
American dishes. For example, Peruvian Papas a la Huancaina.
And some jalapenos stuffed with chorizo and goat cheese.
And horchata and sangria and maybe cocada (a Venezuelan
coconut milk drink). And salmon tacos. Maybe a few other
things. Not sure of all of it yet. Can't wait. I'm getting
so hungry just thinking about it.

Merry Xmas, everybody!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

<snipped for space>
> "Your fresh masa order is ready." Whoopee!
> So today I am off to the Strip at noon. (We get off
> early today for the holiday.) Boyoboyoboy. I can't wait.
> I will also stock up on all the other ingredients I need
> for my tamales and other goodies.
>
> I'm having a party next Thursday. I will have the tamales,
> of course, plus other Mexican, Mexican-like, and Latin
> American dishes. For example, Peruvian Papas a la Huancaina.
> And some jalapenos stuffed with chorizo and goat cheese.
> And horchata and sangria and maybe cocada (a Venezuelan
> coconut milk drink). And salmon tacos. Maybe a few other
> things. Not sure of all of it yet. Can't wait. I'm getting
> so hungry just thinking about it.
>
> Merry Xmas, everybody!
>
> Kate

Now can you get whole hog heads? ;-)
That's traditional.......

Altho' I've heard that pork shoulder is acceptable.

I was at the big HEB yesterday and there was an entire case filled with
whole frozen hogs heads.

The Mexican girls around here make _wonderful_ Tamales and I need to
order some for Paul's New Years party. I'll take a crock pot to keep
them hot.

Congrats on your score and be sure to post jpegs if you can! ;;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally said...

> Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>
> So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
> Tons and tons of tamales! Yum. So, I think to
> myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be great to be able to
> make them using fresh masa dough?" So, then I
> think to myself, "Gee, I wonder if it's possible
> that Reyna Foods (our lone Mexican grocer in the
> Strip District, who also make their own tortilla
> chips - I *love* their blue corn tortilla chips -
> in a small factory nearby) might have fresh masa
> available?" So, I call them up and say, "Hi. I
> realize it's a billion to one shot but I was wondering
> if there's any chance you might have any fresh masa
> dough?" Well, imagine my surprise and delight when
> they told me that yes I might be able to get some.
> They were probably going to make another batch before
> Xmas. So she took my name and number and said she'd
> call me this week if they made it. Yesterday I got
> the call, "Your fresh masa order is ready." Whoopee!
> So today I am off to the Strip at noon. (We get off
> early today for the holiday.) Boyoboyoboy. I can't wait.
> I will also stock up on all the other ingredients I need
> for my tamales and other goodies.
>
> I'm having a party next Thursday. I will have the tamales,
> of course, plus other Mexican, Mexican-like, and Latin
> American dishes. For example, Peruvian Papas a la Huancaina.
> And some jalapenos stuffed with chorizo and goat cheese.
> And horchata and sangria and maybe cocada (a Venezuelan
> coconut milk drink). And salmon tacos. Maybe a few other
> things. Not sure of all of it yet. Can't wait. I'm getting
> so hungry just thinking about it.
>
> Merry Xmas, everybody!
>
> Kate

Kate,

You sound like a kid who got the greatest Christmas present!

Have fun!

Merry Christmas,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's really exciting. I had also noticed fresh masa available in a
store here in Sacramento too (BelAir/Raleys).

I would love to brave making tamales. But, the last time I tried,
while making my own masa dough, I ended up with an unbelievable mess.
I guess I need to stand next to a pro, the first time or too.

I have great admiration for anyone that can make them!

I have a little Mexican store near my home that makes wonderful tamales
at a very reasonable price. The trouble has always been the language
barrier. I speak virtually no Spanish, and they speak virtually no
English. It's always a process of going in and doing a lot of sign
language with fingers and hands, and then it's only a crap shoot as to
whether I exit the store with the much beloved tamales!

I have a "note from Mom" that some of you guys provided me as a
translation, that I printed off and took with me once. It actually
worked.

It was a leap of faith, I wasn't certain it didn't say, "One dozen beef
tamales, as soon as possible please." I wasn't certain it didn't say,
your mother looks like a pig, and your sister has the face of a cow."

But when they smiled and handed me the tamales, I knew you guys hadn't
led me astray;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>
> So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
> Tons and tons of tamales! Yum. So, I think to
> myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be great to be able to
> make them using fresh masa dough?" So, then I
> think to myself, "Gee, I wonder if it's possible
> that Reyna Foods (our lone Mexican grocer in the
> Strip District, who also make their own tortilla
> chips - I *love* their blue corn tortilla chips -
> in a small factory nearby) might have fresh masa
> available?" So, I call them up and say, "Hi. I
> realize it's a billion to one shot but I was wondering
> if there's any chance you might have any fresh masa
> dough?" Well, imagine my surprise and delight when
> they told me that yes I might be able to get some.
> They were probably going to make another batch before
> Xmas. So she took my name and number and said she'd
> call me this week if they made it. Yesterday I got
> the call, "Your fresh masa order is ready." Whoopee!
> So today I am off to the Strip at noon. (We get off
> early today for the holiday.) Boyoboyoboy. I can't wait.
> I will also stock up on all the other ingredients I need
> for my tamales and other goodies.
>
> I'm having a party next Thursday. I will have the tamales,
> of course, plus other Mexican, Mexican-like, and Latin
> American dishes. For example, Peruvian Papas a la Huancaina.
> And some jalapenos stuffed with chorizo and goat cheese.
> And horchata and sangria and maybe cocada (a Venezuelan
> coconut milk drink). And salmon tacos. Maybe a few other
> things. Not sure of all of it yet. Can't wait. I'm getting
> so hungry just thinking about it.
>
> Merry Xmas, everybody!
>
> Kate

I love it when I find "familiar" foods in an unfamiliar environment.
Congratulations! Knock yourself out with the tamales, and if you can, post
pictures! I'm so happy for you.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:24:46 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>
>So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
>Tons and tons of tamales! Yum. So, I think to

<snip>

I'm so envious I can't stand it!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>
> So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
> Tons and tons of tamales! !
> So today I am off to the Strip at noon. (We get off
> early today for the holiday.) Boyoboyoboy. I can't wait.
> I will also stock up on all the other ingredients I need
> for my tamales and other goodies.
>
> I'm having a party next Thursday. I will have the tamales,
> of course, plus other Mexican, Mexican-like, and Latin
> American dishes. For example, Peruvian Papas a la Huancaina.

Can you post your recipe for Papas a la Huancaina? I would love to make
this for my son; his father and I adopted him 26 years ago in Lima, at age
6, and I know that he would appreciate this dish. Also, if you have a
recipe for Lomo Saltado. The hispanic market down the road (3 blocks) was
just complete refurbished and remodeled from floor to ceiling, and they are
also selling fresh masa. I'm going to a friend's home Sunday nite and we
will be making fresh tamales, which is something that I've never done
before, even though I've lived here in SoCal all my life. I found a recipe
for Pisco Sour on the Cooks Illustrated website, and am thinking about
making up a batch for NYE. Joseph (son) has never had one, being too young
at the time to sample.

Harriet & critters (J J the world famous jack russell terrior who is out in
the yard; PK the lady manx who has told me it is time for her scritches; and
Joseph who just went to work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> MYRL! WHICH Raley's/Bel Air? I'm DYING to make tamales! DYING, I
> tell ya! I'm in South Natomas so I'm hoping it's the one on El Camino
> but I'll drive to any damned one of them for fresh masa dough!
>
> TammyM

Tammy-
I shop the BelAir in Gold River. It's packaged and found at the meat
counter.

I'd call the Raleys/BelAir nearest you, and ask if they have it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:02:41 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:33:11 GMT, TammyM wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:24:46 -0500, Kate Connally >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>>>
>>>So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
>>>Tons and tons of tamales! Yum. So, I think to

>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm so envious I can't stand it!

>I just make my dough from the dried masa. Just as good as the wet
>stuff, plus I can use my own seasonings and chicken broth to
>rehydrate it.

Hmmm. Interesting. I've read that one can make an "acceptable" dough
from masa harina, but that it is inferior to using fresh masa dough.
Doesn't sound like that's your experience. If I can't find the fresh
stuff, I'll give it a whirl with masa harina.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>
> So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
> Tons and tons of tamales! Yum.

Ahh, good for you, Kate!

I have my masa ready to go, but it's no big deal for me to find it here
in San Antonio. The one thing I'm doing differently this year is that
I'm planning to make tamales using banana leaves. At least I hope so,
if I can find some.

Here's a link to a local story about families getting together to make
tamales.

http://tinyurl.com/yamj3d

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lard keeps masa harina together ...
Red mild chile and pork ....

In 1952 , i lived in Mexico , they soak whole corn in galvanized
pail , added dry calcium ( slake lime ) a pinch or 2 .
next day to a community mill , this wet mix was ground .......
, one after another , a line of 20 people all with buckets ...

drop a wet cloth over it to keep it wet and flys off it .

They did not eat hot peppers then .....

> That's really exciting. I had also noticed fresh masa available in a
> store here in Sacramento too (BelAir/Raleys).
>
> I would love to brave making tamales. But, the last time I tried,
> while making my own masa dough, I ended up with an unbelievable mess.
> I guess I need to stand next to a pro, the first time or too.
>
> I have great admiration for anyone that can make them!
>
> I have a little Mexican store near my home that makes wonderful tamales
> at a very reasonable price. The trouble has always been the language
> barrier. I speak virtually no Spanish, and they speak virtually no
> English. It's always a process of going in and doing a lot of sign
> language with fingers and hands, and then it's only a crap shoot as to
> whether I exit the store with the much beloved tamales!
>
> I have a "note from Mom" that some of you guys provided me as a
> translation, that I printed off and took with me once. It actually
> worked.
>
> It was a leap of faith, I wasn't certain it didn't say, "One dozen beef
> tamales, as soon as possible please." I wasn't certain it didn't say,
> your mother looks like a pig, and your sister has the face of a cow."
>
> But when they smiled and handed me the tamales, I knew you guys hadn't
> led me astray;-)
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:02:41 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:33:11 GMT, TammyM wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:24:46 -0500, Kate Connally >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Who'da thunk it. In Pittsburgh!
>>>
>>>So, I'm planning to make tamales over the break.
>>>Tons and tons of tamales! Yum. So, I think to

>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm so envious I can't stand it!

>I just make my dough from the dried masa. Just as good as the wet
>stuff, plus I can use my own seasonings and chicken broth to
>rehydrate it.

But Steve, we can buy the premade stuff and add chicken broth to it to
lighten it up. It works very well.

sf
a convert

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> MYRL! WHICH Raley's/Bel Air? I'm DYING to make tamales! DYING, I
> tell ya! I'm in South Natomas so I'm hoping it's the one on El Camino
> but I'll drive to any damned one of them for fresh masa dough!

The Raley's in Lincoln has masa for tamales in its meat section. I haven't
been there recently, but I think the Winco in Rocklin has it also.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
asd asd is offline

<sf> really wrote in a message

> I was clueless until.......

"was"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:44:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:20:26 -0800, sf wrote:

>>>I just make my dough from the dried masa. Just as good as the wet
>>>stuff, plus I can use my own seasonings and chicken broth to
>>>rehydrate it.
>>>

>> But Steve, we can buy the premade stuff and add chicken broth to it to
>> lighten it up. It works very well.

>That'll make it too runny.
>
>I'll stick with my reconstituted masa. I've used both and prefer
>the dried stuff anyway. It's easier to work with. And while
>they do taste slightly different - I prefer the dried over wet.
>
>I have a lot of Mexican [girl]friends so I've been swimming in
>tamales this season. I won't be making any for a while.

In her Oaxacan cookbook, Zarela Martinez does say that reconstituted
masa harina is a (barely) acceptable substitute for fresh masa. Since
I've never tried them both, I don't really have an opinion on it. Yet
:-) I've had Kay Hartman's tamales made from fresh masa and they are
outstanding. To my knowledge, I've never had masa harina tamale so,
given what you've said, it sounds like it's worth a shot if I can't
get my mits on the fresh stuff.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:44:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>That'll make it too runny.

Actually, it doesn't unles you're heavy handed.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:09:06 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > Sorry, Steve. My bad. I think reconstituting the dry stuff is such a
> > pain in the *ss that any time I can buy it premade, I do and it's
> > "fresh" to me! Making the "real" *fresh* is not even a consideration.
> > There are a least a gazillion other ways I'd rather spend my time in
> > the kitchen.

> You still have to add lard to fresh masa (assuming tamales or
> tortillas). Which I think is a PITA trying to incorporate evenly
> into a 5-lb lump of cold masa.
>
> I use warm chicken broth to rehydrate my masa, and add the lard
> in shortly thereafter while the whole mess is kinda warm.
>
> -sw

This year, we found some masa in five-pound chubs at HEB that already
includes lard. Lots of questions, but I'm willing to give it one try.

Up to now, I've used Manteca masa flour and have rendered pork fat into
lard, but it's just too much this year. I will have some warm broth on
hand just in case I need some extra moisture, 'cause I don't know
anything about this new-to-me masa/lard product.

We'll be making pork and red chile, and spinach and queso fresco
tamales.

David

I am very excited!! John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 17 28-10-2010 12:18 AM
Rolling masa dough by hand [Was: Tortilla Press] Phred General Cooking 10 31-03-2007 12:08 PM
I am excited Ken General Cooking 0 31-12-2006 11:24 PM
I am excited sf General Cooking 0 30-12-2006 10:48 AM
Fresh Masa? Ranee Mueller General Cooking 1 12-06-2006 03:24 PM