Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
The Galloping Gourmand The Galloping Gourmand is offline

Default Merry Christmas

Jack Tyler wrote:
> Not to offend those who don't celebrate Christmas

Oh, puh-leeeze.

We've become far too "politically" correct when we feel we have to
apologize to a very small and troublesome percentage of our immigrant
population for celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

We're talking about only 3% of the population are Jews, and over half
of them are secular Jews who don't attend temple and don't belong to a
congregation at all, but they still resent Christians enjoying
Christmas because it violates commandments in the Talmud against
worshipping other gods besides the nameless god of Moses.

And maybe Christmas decorations would cost them a tiny amount of money
out of their tax dollar if Christmas decorations were put up in a
public place.

Before anybody accuses *me* of being "anti-semitic", my grandfather was
a German Jew whose family arrived in America in the 1740's. Another
ancestor was a Sephardic Jew whose son arrived in Maryland in 1590,
after his father fled the Spanish Inquisition.

Other ancestors were English Jews who never made a big stink about what
the Puritans were doing in Massachusetts, they moved to Rhode Island.

They were the kind of immigrants that America is really all about, they
melted into the great American melting pot and became Heinz 57
Americans, they were a little bit
German, a little bit Jewish, a little bit French, Irish, Scottish,
English, Danish, Native American, and even a little bit African after a
few generations.

I waited until the last minute to book a Christmas cruise one year, and
wound up on a ship belonging to a cruiseline I'd never heard of before.
It was the one with an "X" on the smoke stack, I think it was called
"Chandris Nightmare Cruises".

I figured they would have Christmas trees and Santa Claus and Christmas
carols to cater the Americans who would be the majority on the cruise.

Boy, was I ever wrong. The cruise line was owned by Hindus and the
British crew talked about "Father Christmas" giving out toys to a few
kids on Christmas Day, but I never saw that at all.

There was a variety show on Christmas Eve, and instead of having
quasi-religious skits and singing the seasonal tunes that made Irving
Berlin (a Jew) rich, the hostess sang a song about a lonely Parisian
prostitute who couldn't find a john on Christmas Eve!

And then she stood there and apologized to all the immigrant Jews from
New York, saying that she wanted to sing a seasonal song, and hoped
that nobody would be offended by it.

Then she started singing "Silent Night". I don't know if she thought
the Jews would be offended because it was a Christian song, or because
it was a traditional German song.

After that, the staff passed out Christmas carol books and half the
audience got up and walked out.

And it makes me wonder, if immigrant Jews hate Christmas so much, why
do they go on Christmas cruises? Why do they take advantage of the
Christmas holiday season at all?

Why don't they travel some other time of the year or see if they can
charter an all-Jewish
ocean liner with an Israeli crew and Mosad security?