Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

What do you have int here with them? Acidic things will keep them
crispy, as will baking soda (why you would have the latter in there is
beyond me, but I've heard some people do this so just checking).

One thing I've noticed is that they do turn to mush by the next day
after cooling down and being reheated. But that's when they were at
the al dente stage before cooling.

If your market doesn't have a high turnover of beans (I buy mine in the
areas with high Hispanic populations) age could be the problem.

maxine "i feel your pain' in ri