Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Turkey Gravy Revisited (long)

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
>
> Since I only roast a turkey breast, I also bought a package of turkey
> wings. Yesterday I popped them into a roasting pan with a couple each of
> carrots, stalks of celery, a medium onion coarsely chopped (with the skin),
> and a couple of cloves of garlic. Tossed in a tablespoon or so of oil and
> a bit of salt. Roasted this mixture until everything was nicely browned.
>
> Removed roasting pan to the stovetop, added 4 cups chicken broth, a
> teaspoon of whole peppercorns, 5 whole allspice berries, a bay leaf, a
> handful of fresh parsley, and a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Brought
> this to a boil, then reduced to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Removed
> from the heat, then strained through doubled cheesecloth. Cooled and
> refrigerated overnight.
>
> This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm to
> room temperature.
>
> Meanwhile, I browned 3/4 cup all-purpose flour in a dry pan in a 375° oven
> until it was golden tan, then set aside.
>
> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
> bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
> two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.
>
> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
> added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
> slow boil.
>
> Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of stock in the blender and added the
> browned flour. Whirled this together on lowest speed until completely
> smooth.
>
> Added the stock/flour mixture in a steady stream to the simmering pot while
> whisking constantly, then returned to a boil while whisking until it
> thickened. Reduced heat to a bare simmer and cooked, covered, for another
> half hour. Then put on the warming burner.
>
> This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
> sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was spaced
> out.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

That sounds wonderful... :-)

I was roasting a whole turkey but knew that I'd have limited time due to
work. I pressure cooked 1.5 lbs. of turkey necks a couple of days ahead
of time with the usual aromatics and got a very, very rich turkey stock
out of that. About 1 1/2 quarts. To that I added 1 pt. of 1/2 and 1/2
and about 1 qt. of roasted turkey drippings.

Brought it up to a boil while the turkey was "resting" and thickened
with arrowroot and cold water slurry.

Very very rich.
--
Peace, Om