Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default On Gaiwans [was:Unassuming tea blossom pitcher]

Scott /21/06

> Michael Plant > wrote:
>>
>> Instead I recommend Jing Tea Shop because their porcelain teawares are thin
>> walled, well formed, well made, and reasonably priced, although I wouldn't
>> tell them that. (Woops!). Being in Guang Zhou, they can usually do better
>> than American based companies. It is my humble opinion that they Sebastian
>> and Jing have good taste. They've been rather quiet lately, eh?

> I break thinwalled porcelain... my office is something of a mess and I have
> a tendency to put my teacup down on top of heavy machinery.
>
> I really love the Chatsworth "Vitrified Hotelware" materials... they look
> like thin china, and they have the right weight to them, but you can throw
> them against the wall and they don't chip.
>
> I'd _love_ to have a gaiwan made of that stuff.

I think I know the material you mention, but I don't remember it as being
quite as thin as thin porcelain. I notice that Jing's cobalt blue painted
gaiwans come in "lower" and "higher" qualities, the former being thinner
and drawn with a more spontaneous hand, so the drawing retain a painterly
quality. The higher priced ones are heavier, although not heavy, and the
paintings are more even in shade and deeper in tone. I much prefer the
former. I have both in my collections.

Tell me more about the vitrified hotelware.

Michael