Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default On Gaiwans [was:Unassuming tea blossom pitcher]

> there are several companies that have beutiful, inexpensive teaware
> www.republicoftea.com
> www.harney.com
> www.shanshuiteas.com-by far they have the most choices of teaware and
> utensils
>
> joanne r.

While ShanShui does have a wide variety, you need to be careful because many
of the cups and associated wares are clunky and thick walled. This is not
bad, but if you expect thin porcelain, you might be disappointed. The
pictured glass gaiwan is of the lid-hugs-the-rim type that MarshalN wanred
about. I have made purchases from ShanShui, and I am much plesaed.

I have to recommend against harney and rot on principle, as they are massive
companies, and American based. I looked over the Harney site and unearthed
but one lonely gaiwan and not a single tasting or aroma cup or sharing
pitcher. Clearly Harney is out of the loop. My rot search revealed nothing,
although I might have missed it.

Instead I recommend Jing Tea Shop because their porcelain teawares are thin
walled, well formed, well made, and reasonably priced, although I wouldn't
tell them that. (Woops!). Being in Guang Zhou, they can usually do better
than American based companies. It is my humble opinion that they Sebastian
and Jing have good taste. They've been rather quiet lately, eh?

Michael