Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default And another ... and help needed please

Mary Fisher wrote:
> I'll try it once more, using my starter but I'd like to be put right on what
> all purpose flour is first.

All-purpose flour is a blend of hard and soft wheats, yielding a flour
that can, at least in theory, be used for all-purposes.

It is soft enough to be used to make quick breads and cakes, but hard
enough to be used to make breads.

It tends to not rise as well as bread flour, but a number of bakers, and
I am one of them, feel it tends to produce a better tasting bread than
most bread flours.

Overall, all-purpose flour is about 10% protein. Bread flours tend to
be 12% and up, with lots of room on the "and up." However, one bread
flour I looked at had 10% protein and still rose well... so, as with
most generalities, there are exceptions.

Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith