Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby Gabby is offline

Default Who says diabetics can't eat well? ( On Diabetes Day )

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Gabby" >

> > That fruit fusion dessert is loaded with carbs -- and the good doctor
> > seems to confuse carbs with calories. "The whole idea is to monitor
> > the intake of calories so the blood sugar does not shoot up."
> >
> > Following the diabetic diet he was given always had DH's blood glucose
> > elevated. Cutting out 1/2 of the carbs allowed brought his blood
> > glucose down to normal levels.
> >

> My diabetic counselor, along with my doctor, stress carb control.
> Unfortunately I also have to watch fat intake for heart disease. Calories
> have nothing to do with my current plan. OTOH, if I do as I am supposed
> to, my calorie intake is such that my BG maintains a somewhat normal level,
> and I don't have a lot of extra fat in my diet. My weight remains pretty
> constant but then it always has, regardless of my diet. My last A1C was
> 4.9. I still splurge. I'll eat sweets and fatty foods but I had to learn
> moderation. I can still enjoy the things I like and enjoy.

Certainly carb control is key to a healthy life when you're diabetic.
DH cut out 1/2 his carbs for a month and dropped his A1C 2 percentage
points. When I mentioned that to our family doctor in the course of
one of my visits and asked why the diet was so high in carbs, he said
that the level of allowed by the diabetic diet is because unless you
have a very well disciplined pt. with good control, having a more
stringent control of carbs results in more frequent hypoglycemia, more
dangerous than having constant blood glucose levels of 9 or 10.

Gabby