Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who says diabetics can't eat well? ( On Diabetes Day )

Maintaining a healthy diet is important for everyone, but crucial for
people with diabetes. Following a diet that meets the strict
nutritional requirements of diabetics and does not overshoot on
calories is critical. At the same time, having diabetes does not mean
you lose your head on calorie counting and bid farewell to delicious
food. Here are some yummy meal options that are safe, quick to prepare,
and great to taste
http://www.diabeticsshouldeat.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stella wrote:
> Maintaining a healthy diet is important for everyone, but crucial for
> people with diabetes. Following a diet that meets the strict
> nutritional requirements of diabetics and does not overshoot on
> calories is critical. At the same time, having diabetes does not mean
> you lose your head on calorie counting and bid farewell to delicious
> food. Here are some yummy meal options that are safe, quick to prepare,
> and great to taste
> http://www.diabeticsshouldeat.blogspot.com

That fruit fusion dessert is loaded with carbs -- and the good doctor
seems to confuse carbs with calories. "The whole idea is to monitor
the intake of calories so the blood sugar does not shoot up."

Following the diabetic diet he was given always had DH's blood glucose
elevated. Cutting out 1/2 of the carbs allowed brought his blood
glucose down to normal levels.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Gabby" >

> > That fruit fusion dessert is loaded with carbs -- and the good doctor
> > seems to confuse carbs with calories. "The whole idea is to monitor
> > the intake of calories so the blood sugar does not shoot up."
> >
> > Following the diabetic diet he was given always had DH's blood glucose
> > elevated. Cutting out 1/2 of the carbs allowed brought his blood
> > glucose down to normal levels.
> >

> My diabetic counselor, along with my doctor, stress carb control.
> Unfortunately I also have to watch fat intake for heart disease. Calories
> have nothing to do with my current plan. OTOH, if I do as I am supposed
> to, my calorie intake is such that my BG maintains a somewhat normal level,
> and I don't have a lot of extra fat in my diet. My weight remains pretty
> constant but then it always has, regardless of my diet. My last A1C was
> 4.9. I still splurge. I'll eat sweets and fatty foods but I had to learn
> moderation. I can still enjoy the things I like and enjoy.

Certainly carb control is key to a healthy life when you're diabetic.
DH cut out 1/2 his carbs for a month and dropped his A1C 2 percentage
points. When I mentioned that to our family doctor in the course of
one of my visits and asked why the diet was so high in carbs, he said
that the level of allowed by the diabetic diet is because unless you
have a very well disciplined pt. with good control, having a more
stringent control of carbs results in more frequent hypoglycemia, more
dangerous than having constant blood glucose levels of 9 or 10.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Nov 2006 03:46:18 -0800, "Gabby" > wrote:

>Following the diabetic diet he was given always had DH's blood glucose
>elevated. Cutting out 1/2 of the carbs allowed brought his blood
>glucose down to normal levels.

And James has brought his numbers down to non-diabetic levels by
eating lots of good carbs and getting lots of exercise. Different
stuff works for different people.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Nov 2006 06:42:39 -0800, "Gabby" > wrote:

>Certainly carb control is key to a healthy life when you're diabetic.

Not universally true. James eats lots of carbs (whole grains, beans,
pasta, etc.), and his numbers are down to normal levels now.

>DH cut out 1/2 his carbs for a month and dropped his A1C 2 percentage
>points.

James's HgA1C is around 5.

Serene