MrAoD

Default Problem with George Foreman Grill

Red Hook informs us:

>On 10/6/03 11:54 AM, in article
, "HiC"
> wrote:
>
>> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
>> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
>> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
>> cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
>> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

As red says, the problem is inherent to the Foreman grill. Because the heating
elements sandwich the meat you're essentially steaming it.

>Take a little pity on the trumpet player, gang. He doesn't get much oxygen.
>HiC, here's what you really need to do to improve your cooking on the GF and
>impress the ladies:
>
>1. Get an eBay account.
>2. Sell the George Forman grill.
>3. Buy a Weber Smokey Joe. Really, all you were doing was frying steaks
>anyway.

Steaming. If you'll refer to the thread entitled "mmmm . . .prime rib" you'll
find several perfectly acceptable methods of preparing a stovetop steak.
Flash-fry by preheating a cast-iron pan in a 450 degree oven, slap the steak
into it on a high burner . . .

>4. Cook with fire. Chicks dig fire.

Depends on the chick, I've found.

>5. When you've mastered the Smokey Joe, get a WSM. Chicks dig fire with
>smoke.

Eh, smoking a steak is kinda beside the point. I've used cherrywood,
applewood, and grape vine on the fire to cook steaks, adds a little something,
but it's certainly not smoking, hot or cold.

>Much like Arban, these steps require practice. And beer. But I bet uou got
>that part handled, right?

Amen.

Best,

Marc