Old 06-10-2003, 07:54 PM
HiC

Default Problem with George Foreman Grill

I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

Old 06-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Becca

find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
cuts of meat.

The problem is the meat. Try again.

Becca
Old 06-10-2003, 09:45 PM
jmcquown

HiC wrote:
I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

I didn't see where you mentioned what cut of steak you're talking about. I
can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and tender,
so I doubt seriously it's the GF grill. On the other hand, I've also heard
these grills tend to steam meat. I'll stick with a real grill or the
broiler for steak (and no, I don't use the microwave for steaks; just that
one time as an experiment!)

Jill

Old 07-10-2003, 04:52 AM
DRB

"Vicstanley" wrote in message
- Impossible to evenly cook any piece of meat with a bone in it. Once the

upper
cooking surface touches the bone there is no contact with the meat.

Never done meat with bone it, so can't really comment

- World's crappiest non-stick surface. It wears off (and is probably

ingested)
after very few uses.

Really? I 've had mine for 2 years, and the non-stick sturface is still
totally intact... Did you follow the care and use instructions exactly?

- Impossible to clean without all kinds of horrible grease building up in

areas
impossible to reach. The heating element should be removeable so it can be
completely immersed.

Never had any cleaning problems...

Solution - get a good grill pan.

Old 07-10-2003, 05:33 PM
barry

Sounds like he forgot to boil the steak first.

Barry

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:45:52 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and

tender

Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.

-sw

Old 07-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Doug Norris

wrote:

I can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and tender

Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.

Damn straight. Hunt's is thirty cents less for a reason.

Doug
Old 07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Spud

Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.

-sw

Heinz is my fave-or-ite! Big ol' steak fries. Yum!

Spud

Old 09-10-2003, 03:50 PM
MrAoD

Red Hook informs us:

On 10/6/03 11:54 AM, in article
, "HiC"
wrote:

I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

As red says, the problem is inherent to the Foreman grill. Because the heating
elements sandwich the meat you're essentially steaming it.

Take a little pity on the trumpet player, gang. He doesn't get much oxygen.
HiC, here's what you really need to do to improve your cooking on the GF and
impress the ladies:

1. Get an eBay account.
2. Sell the George Forman grill.
3. Buy a Weber Smokey Joe. Really, all you were doing was frying steaks
anyway.

Steaming. If you'll refer to the thread entitled "mmmm . . .prime rib" you'll
find several perfectly acceptable methods of preparing a stovetop steak.
Flash-fry by preheating a cast-iron pan in a 450 degree oven, slap the steak
into it on a high burner . . .

4. Cook with fire. Chicks dig fire.

Depends on the chick, I've found.

5. When you've mastered the Smokey Joe, get a WSM. Chicks dig fire with
smoke.

Eh, smoking a steak is kinda beside the point. I've used cherrywood,
applewood, and grape vine on the fire to cook steaks, adds a little something,
but it's certainly not smoking, hot or cold.

Much like Arban, these steps require practice. And beer. But I bet uou got
that part handled, right?

Amen.

Best,

Marc