HiC

Default Problem with George Foreman Grill

I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?
Becca

> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
> cuts of meat.

The problem is the meat. Try again.

Becca
jmcquown

HiC wrote:
> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
> cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

I didn't see where you mentioned what cut of steak you're talking about. I
can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and tender,
so I doubt seriously it's the GF grill. On the other hand, I've also heard
these grills tend to steam meat. I'll stick with a real grill or the
broiler for steak (and no, I don't use the microwave for steaks; just that
one time as an experiment!)

Jill

DRB

"Vicstanley" > wrote in message
> - Impossible to evenly cook any piece of meat with a bone in it. Once the

upper
> cooking surface touches the bone there is no contact with the meat.

Never done meat with bone it, so can't really comment

> - World's crappiest non-stick surface. It wears off (and is probably

ingested)
> after very few uses.

Really? I 've had mine for 2 years, and the non-stick sturface is still
totally intact... Did you follow the care and use instructions exactly?

> - Impossible to clean without all kinds of horrible grease building up in

areas
> impossible to reach. The heating element should be removeable so it can be
> completely immersed.

Never had any cleaning problems...

> Solution - get a good grill pan.

barry

Sounds like he forgot to boil the steak first.

Barry

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:45:52 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >I can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and

tender

> Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.
>
> -sw

Doug Norris

Steve Wertz > writes:

>On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:45:52 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:

>>I can even microwave a ribeye and have it turn out halfway decent and tender

>Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.

Damn straight. Hunt's is thirty cents less for a reason.

Doug
Spud

> Don't forget to smother them in Heinz ketchup, too.
>
> -sw

Heinz is my fave-or-ite! Big ol' steak fries. Yum!

Spud

MrAoD

Red Hook informs us:

>On 10/6/03 11:54 AM, in article
, "HiC"
> wrote:
>
>> I've tried cooking a couple of steaks on a small George Foreman grill,
>> the one that's just about big enough to cook a med-sized steak, but
>> find that it just makes the meat tough. These were supposed to be good
>> cuts of meat. Is there something I should be doing or is there an
>> inherent problem with cooking a steak on one of these?

As red says, the problem is inherent to the Foreman grill. Because the heating
elements sandwich the meat you're essentially steaming it.

>Take a little pity on the trumpet player, gang. He doesn't get much oxygen.
>HiC, here's what you really need to do to improve your cooking on the GF and
>impress the ladies:
>
>1. Get an eBay account.
>2. Sell the George Forman grill.
>3. Buy a Weber Smokey Joe. Really, all you were doing was frying steaks
>anyway.

Steaming. If you'll refer to the thread entitled "mmmm . . .prime rib" you'll
find several perfectly acceptable methods of preparing a stovetop steak.
Flash-fry by preheating a cast-iron pan in a 450 degree oven, slap the steak
into it on a high burner . . .

>4. Cook with fire. Chicks dig fire.

Depends on the chick, I've found.

>5. When you've mastered the Smokey Joe, get a WSM. Chicks dig fire with
>smoke.

Eh, smoking a steak is kinda beside the point. I've used cherrywood,
applewood, and grape vine on the fire to cook steaks, adds a little something,
but it's certainly not smoking, hot or cold.

>Much like Arban, these steps require practice. And beer. But I bet uou got
>that part handled, right?

Amen.

Best,

Marc