Posted to rec.food.cooking
ms_peacock[_1_] ms_peacock[_1_] is offline

Default Weekend survey on the RFC website: Cooking or baking...

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 06:38:19 -0800, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
>>I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
>>measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
>>Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
>>disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
>>won't be edible.

> I dunno. Very few of my baked recipes are the way I first found them.
> I alter nearly all of them. My only real flop (that comes to mind)
> was when I left the baking soda out of banana bread. Turned out kinda
> rubbery and dense. Even then, it tasted good.

I got a recipe from my grandmother she had altered and I altered it a little
more. Turns out just fine. Of course that was before I knew baking was
such an exact science. LOL

It's such an exact science my great grandmother baked her entire life
without exact or precise measurements.

Ms P