Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jake Speed Jake Speed is offline

Default Wine from kits

I do primary fermentation in open food grade buckets, ranging from
6-1/2 gallons to about 30 (depends on batch size).

Carboys are glass water bottles, ranging in size from 5 US gallons to
13-1/2 (if there are bigger ones I've never seen 'em). Typical sizes
are 5 and 6 gallons -- I've seen 6-1/2, 7, and 7-1/2. I've got a
bunch of 5 gallons, with a couple of 3-1/2 gallon ones.

I've been doing kits in recent years, since I moved to NC from Upstate
NY. I've had trouble finding grapes, and haven't liked the ones I
found. I may make a run to the Finger Lakes of NY next fall ....

The wine kits often call for making up 6 gallons. I typically dilute
to about 5-1/2. Allowing for sediment loss I end up with a full 5
gallon carboy (which is really about 5-1/4 gallons). I don't believe
in topping up with water (dilutes the wine) so this works out for me.

Watch the SG with the kits. They'll tell you what the initial SG
should be, but I've found that they're often a bit low -- one kit I
started recently was WAY low. A few cups of confectioners sugar fixed
that. [I used confectioners sugar because it stirs in easily -- white
sugar works fine.]

Two final pieces of advice that others have already mentioned, but IMO
are THE source of problems with wine kits (and wine making in
general):

1) Hygiene -- Be scrupulously clean with everything. I rinse
everything with sulfite water prior to use, and just shake off the
excess. There is no such thing as too clean!

2) Follow the Directions!!! The kits are designed to function a
certain way -- one kit currently in production requires stirring the
sediment up when adding the clearing agents, but no racking at this
time. According to the directions the sediment is required to make
the clearing process work.

I need to research this, for my own curiosity, but from previous
experience with kits I'm following the directions -- regardless of
whether or not I understand the "why" part. :-)

Bryan