Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet OmManiPadmeOmelet is offline

Default Apples

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> >Mom made the most divine jelly with them. ;-d
> >Be sure to wear gloves during processing. I've found them to be very
> >irritating to the skin, even when just picking them.
> >
> >There is always wine making too.

> I live in western NC, at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
> This is about the right time for muscadines around here. The skins do
> not bother me. The only irritation I got is from the yellow jacket
> sting on my hand. We did clean the vines. There may be a handful
> left to eat as we walk around.

They also grow wild around here. Like I said in a previous post, I
planted them on my fence line as a privacy barrier. I don't always
harvest the grapes.....

They tend to take over as they are a local "native" plant.

> I have some juice in the freezer from the first batch we picked.
> Enough for 2 batches of jelly. I also canned a bunch of juice.
> --
> Susan N.

I'm thinking about making wine next year if I can get a good yield.

The wild vines around here are also loaded with spiders, and I have to
watch for snakes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.