Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Is a cheap deep fryer a good idea?

Ron Peterson wrote:

> Chris Marksberry wrote:

>> That answer from Ron surprised me too. I would like to see
>> references about this and also about "safety issues like fires and
>> burns". I wouldn't think that should be an issue if you properly
>> follow recommended precautions.

> http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/VISU/hazard/haz57.pdf mentions some of
> the burn possiblities and in addition the fire hazard from heated oil.

I think the surprise to your response has nothing to do with a deep fryer
having the potential to cause burns; it has to do with your blanket
condemnation and instruction that "it is not a good idea to deep fry". OF
COURSE it is perfectly ok for folks to deep fry at home. As with any
potential risk it is assumed that those doing the deep frying will
understand HOW to do it safely at home prior to frying a frenched 'tater.

Sure, there are numbnuts in abundance. Some of these thumb-sucking droolers
may even injure themselves or their homes due to an inability to minimally
grasp the concept of common sense, much less the ability, it seems, to read
the instructions.

The fact that Darwin may be at work is hardly a reason to proclaim a blanket
indictment on a fairly safe method of cooking. Most made-for-home-use deep
fryers, with minimal regard to care, will work very well with minimal - if
any - risk to the user or to the user's environment.

As a side note here, I must confess a certain anticipatory thrill as we near
the official opening of "Turkey Fryer Season". The notion of high-btu output
open burners -- topped with a container holding five or more gallons of hot
oil -- all shakily perched on a wooden deck just feet from a house, is fun
just waiting to happen. No one ever gets hurt, 'cause the fool-o'-the-house
tends to be MIA when the overfilled oil-pot begins to boil over and drips
into the open flames of the turkey fryer. I jus' love stupidity in action.

BTW, if we were to take your url pdf as rationale to not deep fry at home,
then we should skip hot showers. After all, hot water was the primary burn
risk -- via scalding -- that your link covered.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com