Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Chris Marksberry Chris Marksberry is offline

Default Is a cheap deep fryer a good idea?

> Ron Peterson wrote:
> > James wrote:
> > > I don't fry foods because I don't like the oily film that gets all

over
> > > the kitchen.

> > > Cheap electric fryers are on sale as low as $30. Anyone think it's a
> > > good useful kitchen item?

> > It's not a good idea to deep fry because of safety issues like fires
> > and burns.
> >
> > If the oil isn't reused, it can be expensive. And, if it is reused,
> > unhealthy byproducts can build up in the oil.
> >
> > --
> > Ron

> What kind of unhealthy byproducts? Do you have any references we can
> see regarding the claim? I tend to reuse about 3-4 times before
> ditching it; I filter before putting it into my refrigerator in an
> air-tight container.

That answer from Ron surprised me too. I would like to see references about
this and also about "safety issues like fires and burns". I wouldn't think
that should be an issue if you properly follow recommended precautions.

I re-use oil (like you) 3-4 times or maybe more depending on what I've
fried. Interesting reading on this subject and many others is "How to Read
a French Fry: And Other Stories of Intriguing Kitchen Science" by Russ
Parsons".

Chris in Pearland, TX