Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
[email protected] seerialmom@yahoo.com is offline

Default Is a cheap deep fryer a good idea?

wrote:

> >Ron Peterson wrote:

> >> It's not a good idea to deep fry because of safety issues like fires
> >> and burns.
> >>
> >> If the oil isn't reused, it can be expensive. And, if it is reused,
> >> unhealthy byproducts can build up in the oil.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ron

> >What kind of unhealthy byproducts? Do you have any references we can
> >see regarding the claim? I tend to reuse about 3-4 times before
> >ditching it; I filter before putting it into my refrigerator in an
> >air-tight container.

> The bakery I worked at only changed the oil once a year!

When I worked for a fastfood/fish place we would "replenish" the oil
that burned off using big chunks of shortening (it was the late 70's,
we didn't know better about trans fats and such). But the oil was also
filtered nightly using a big pump machine and the oil went through a
paper filter plus added some powder to the oil. Not sure what the
powder was..I'd know now if I saw the bag. But I don't recall ever
"draining/dumping" the oil at all.