Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zywicki Zywicki is offline

Default Is a cheap deep fryer a good idea?

On Oct 20, 8:47 am, jay > wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2006 11:52:42 -0700, James wrote:
>
> > I don't fry foods because I don't like the oily film that gets all over
> > the kitchen.

> > Cheap electric fryers are on sale as low as $30. Anyone think it's a
> > good useful kitchen item?I don't but if you want one..get one. Some people like table top cooking

> appliances..I don't. There are those who have the bread machine, fry
> daddy, electric skillet, dehydrator, toaster oven, popcorn popper and on
> and on and love them. I have a good stove and oven and several outdoor
> grills/pits that I use with traditional cookware.
>
> For frying I use a saucepan on the stove top.

The single bennefit to the single use items over rangetop cooking, that
many folks don't want to recognize, is the thermostatic control. You
can set it to the same spot each time and get the amount you want.
Vessel size and material is standardized. The machine makes the
adjustments you'd have to on a range. This sort of closed loop control
improves the success rate for people who otherwise aren't so inclined
to hover over a pot tweaking the knobs. And no, despite what you're
thinking, you can't just say, "well then they shouldn't be cooking."

Greg Zywicki