Posted to rec.food.cooking
JD[_1_] JD[_1_] is offline

Default Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Each different type has its own parameters for perfection but when I
have a serious sandwich jones going it has to be an Italian hoagie. The
bread has to be a crusty baguette with some of the "guts" pulled out of
it a drizzling of EVOO and red wine vinegar on it. Then comes layers of
good hot coppa, sopresata, ham (in this case I prefer Black Forest over
prosciutto) pepperoni, with a few layers of thinly sliced provolone
topped with thinly sliced onion, tomato, just a little lettuce and a
smattering of peperocinis or sport pepper rings. finish with a few
shakes of oregano. Now when the holiday season rolls around nothing
beats a turkey sandwich made from the leftovers of your own turkey.
Start with a seedy whole grain bread, slather liberally with mayo, pile
high with turkey and finish simply with a little salt and some fresh
ground pepper. I'm a bit of a minimalist in this regard but I can
appreciate the addition of a little stuffing and or cranberry sauce to
the sandwich. It's the only time of year I eat turkey sandwiches.
Sometimes I jones for a good pastrami sandwich and on the west coast it
ain't the easiest thing to find. Now and then a buddy and I make our own
pastrami from packer cut corned beef briskets which is the only way to
get a pastrami sandwich that's New York worthy. Beyond getting just the
right ingredients it's a slam dunk to make; dark rye (toasted please)
with a healthy application of a nice course seedy mustard piled high
with hot pastrami. Garnish with a dill spear and a little cole slaw on
the side.

JD