Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Differences between gas and electric ovens

In article . com>,
says...
> It's gas (not steam) at that temperature. It'll only turn back to steam
> if it cools below it's boiling point (ie, if you open the door).

You misunderstand what steam is. You seem to think - and I am sure you
are not alone - that steam is that cloudy looking stuff that comes out
of a teakettle. That is steam with suspended water droplets which make
it visible. Steam itself is invisible and refers technically to
vaporized water, so when you are baking bread the "air" in your over is
part water vapor, or steam. Of course the air in your kitchen is part
steam too, but most people don't call it steam, reserving the term for
heated water vapor.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at