Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Differences between gas and electric ovens

Zilbandy wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere that gas ovens have more of a 'moist
> heat' since there is certain amount of moisture in natural gas, where
> an electric oven is a 'dry heat.' This article also hinted that
> baking in a gas oven is better than baking in an electric oven due to
> the added humidity of the gas heat. Any thoughts on this topic?

It's true that perfect burning results in
carbon dioxide and water vapor. However
in my gas oven, the lower burner is below the
metal chamber in which the food is baked.
The burner heats the box, and the exhaust
from the flame goes up the flue, never
touching the food.

The upper burner is within the metal box,
but it would only be used for broiling,
not baking bread or a cake.