Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson[_1_] Rhonda Anderson[_1_] is offline

Default Christmas Scotch Cookies (aka shortbread cookies)

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in
:

> As it happens, that is not a recipe for shortbread anyway - adding
> corn starch, or corn flour as the Scots call it, results in something
> called "melting moments".

Mmmmmm, melting moments..

If you add custard powder you get "yo-yos".

Double mmmmmm - I actually prefer yo-yos to melting moments.

> *Shortbread* is not a cookie, nor a biscuit, it is just shortbread.

Aaah - the best of all. I do love shortbread.

> Traditional shortbread may include rice flour, my mother never used it
> and I don't care for it. But decorating with coloured sprinkles or
> icing is an abomination.

I have always used the rice flour in the recipe I use. Haven't tried it
without - perhaps I will next time. And yes - the most that has ever gone
on to my shortbread is a sprinkle of sugar, and I don't always do that. I
can't imagine putting sprinkles on <g>.

> There are two traditional shapes. You can make it in fingers, which
> are called shortbread fingers. Or you can shape it into a round. it is
> possible to buy wooden moulds which leave you with an embossed
> decoration of a thistle or the like, but I think they're twee. You
> press round the edges with a fork, prick it all over with the fork and
> score the top into wedges to assist breaking up the finished product -
> this is known as petticoat tails. No sprinkles or nuts.

I have a wooden mould, but haven't been able to use it effectively - not
sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to try again at Christmas. Fingers
are easier, but for shortbread for entering in Penrith Show it has to be
a round. Received a first for it last year (this year I stuffed it, still
entered it but didn't get anything - knew I wouldn't) but one of the
judge's comments was to watch the shape. I need to practice getting it
nicely round and fluting the edges neatly.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia