Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default corn for corn soup

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> else.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> it at all.
>
> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> this kind of thing?

This will require dissection!

Cost of fresh corn? When it's in season from local farms around here, it
sells at 4 ears for a dollar. I haven't analyzed this with measuring cups,
but I think that beats even premium canned or frozen corn.

Enormous amount of time to cut it off the cobs??? Are you using tweezers?
Using a sharp paring knife, I can strip an ear in 30 seconds. You can, too.

Premium brands: Vegetables are variable based on the specific variety,
weather, etc. Premium brands might be better than store brands, but the only
way to know is by experiment. And, nobody's past experience (including
yours) is a guarantee of future results.