Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default corn for corn soup

I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
else.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
it at all.

Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
this kind of thing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> else.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> it at all.
>
> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> this kind of thing?

This will require dissection!

Cost of fresh corn? When it's in season from local farms around here, it
sells at 4 ears for a dollar. I haven't analyzed this with measuring cups,
but I think that beats even premium canned or frozen corn.

Enormous amount of time to cut it off the cobs??? Are you using tweezers?
Using a sharp paring knife, I can strip an ear in 30 seconds. You can, too.

Premium brands: Vegetables are variable based on the specific variety,
weather, etc. Premium brands might be better than store brands, but the only
way to know is by experiment. And, nobody's past experience (including
yours) is a guarantee of future results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> else.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would
> be very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if
> off the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't
> cook it at all.
>
> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience
> with this kind of thing?

I like identifiable pieces of corn in my corn soup, but I'm not familiar
with the kind of soup you are making (I usually make corn chowder).

Nevertheless, if using frozen corn, I would recommend gold and white sweet
corn from either Green Giant or Birdseye, or shoepeg white corn from GG.
I've often bought store-brand yellow corn to save money, and it really is
much tougher and less sweet and just generally not as good. GG or Birdseye
yellow is usually better, but nowhere near as good as shoepeg white or
gold&white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> else.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> it at all.
>
> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> this kind of thing?

Since you thought the flavor was good, I'd try it again with frozen corn
and run it through a sieve or other strainer before serving to get the
remaining chunks out.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> this kind of thing?

TJ's has a frozen sweet corn that is pretty good. If there is a store near
you, give it a try.

Harriet & critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

salgud wrote:
> I made Mexican Corn Soup [snip]

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? [snip]
>
> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> this kind of thing?

If it were me, I'd try out some canned corn. Trader Joe's brand is
quite good, every bit as tasty as frozen, imho. Green Giant niblets
used to be quite good, too, though I haven't had it since discovering
TJ's. I would guess that canned is cheaper than frozen, though I don't
actually know.

Then again, if it were me trying out a soup I might throw in a can of
creamed corn as well. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>> I made Mexican Corn Soup [snip]

>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn?
>> [snip]
>>
>> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
>> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience
>> with this kind of thing?

> If it were me, I'd try out some canned corn. Trader Joe's brand is
> quite good, every bit as tasty as frozen, imho. Green Giant niblets
> used to be quite good, too, though I haven't had it since discovering
> TJ's. I would guess that canned is cheaper than frozen, though I
> don't actually know.
>
> Then again, if it were me trying out a soup I might throw in a can of
> creamed corn as well. -aem

I always use canned corn kernels in my corn chowder. For some reason it
seems to have more "bite" than frozen or even fresh corn. But salgud seems
to want to be able to drink it through a straw so I'd say, whatever corn
he/she uses, puree the hell out of it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> else.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> it at all.
>
> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> chop up fine enough in my blender?

You answered your own question... you obviously used some really cheapo
frozen corn... probably generic, old tough corn with bits of cob. I
hate to bust your bubble but unless so-called fresh corn was picked two
hours ago it can't possibly be as good as any of the premium brands of
frozen corn.

Sheldon Birdseye

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "salgud" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> > else.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> > it at all.
> >
> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> > chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> > this kind of thing?
> >

> This will require dissection!
>
> Cost of fresh corn? When it's in season from local farms around here, it
> sells at 4 ears for a dollar. I haven't analyzed this with measuring cups,
> but I think that beats even premium canned or frozen corn.

I doubt that if you measure it, you'll stand by your statement.

> Enormous amount of time to cut it off the cobs??? Are you using tweezers?
> Using a sharp paring knife, I can strip an ear in 30 seconds. You can, too.

That's about right. 20 ears, which would not be enough to do a large
pot of chowder/soup, would cost $5 (at the lowest price I saw all
summer, more most of the time) and take 10 min. to cut off the cob, not
including the time to shuck the corn beforehand. And during the winter,
all this is moot anyway.

> Premium brands: Vegetables are variable based on the specific variety,
> weather, etc. Premium brands might be better than store brands, but the only
> way to know is by experiment. And, nobody's past experience (including
> yours) is a guarantee of future results.

Gee, I better give up and go back to bed! Thanks for all your help!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Puistonen wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> > else.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would
> > be very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if
> > off the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't
> > cook it at all.
> >
> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> > chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience
> > with this kind of thing?

> I like identifiable pieces of corn in my corn soup, but I'm not familiar
> with the kind of soup you are making (I usually make corn chowder).
>
> Nevertheless, if using frozen corn, I would recommend gold and white sweet
> corn from either Green Giant or Birdseye, or shoepeg white corn from GG.
> I've often bought store-brand yellow corn to save money, and it really is
> much tougher and less sweet and just generally not as good. GG or Birdseye
> yellow is usually better, but nowhere near as good as shoepeg white or
> gold&white.

Thanks for the help. Will try again with one of the premium brands, but
this time, I'll try it first with a small bag of corn so I don't make a
huge pot of mealy chowder! Never heard of the Shoepeg, but we certainly
have the GG and Birdseye here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "salgud" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
>> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
>> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
>> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
>> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
>> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
>> > else.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
>> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
>> > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
>> > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
>> > it at all.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
>> > chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
>> > this kind of thing?
>> >

>> This will require dissection!
>>
>> Cost of fresh corn? When it's in season from local farms around here, it
>> sells at 4 ears for a dollar. I haven't analyzed this with measuring
>> cups,
>> but I think that beats even premium canned or frozen corn.

> I doubt that if you measure it, you'll stand by your statement.

14-15" long ears of corn - I think I'm pretty close. That's what we've been
getting around here lately. See below where I said that vegetables are not
consistent for lots of reasons. This isn't the starship Enterprise, where
food comes out of a computer. :-)

>> Enormous amount of time to cut it off the cobs??? Are you using
>> tweezers?
>> Using a sharp paring knife, I can strip an ear in 30 seconds. You can,
>> too.

> That's about right. 20 ears, which would not be enough to do a large
> pot of chowder/soup, would cost $5 (at the lowest price I saw all
> summer, more most of the time) and take 10 min. to cut off the cob, not
> including the time to shuck the corn beforehand. And during the winter,
> all this is moot anyway.

You can't spare 10 minutes for a better quality dinner?

>> Premium brands: Vegetables are variable based on the specific variety,
>> weather, etc. Premium brands might be better than store brands, but the
>> only
>> way to know is by experiment. And, nobody's past experience (including
>> yours) is a guarantee of future results.

> Gee, I better give up and go back to bed! Thanks for all your help!

Whattya want??? You're obviously not a gardener or a farmer, or you'd know
that, like mutual funds, past vegetable performance is go guarantee of
future results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> > else.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> > it at all.
> >
> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> > chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience with
> > this kind of thing?
> >

> Since you thought the flavor was good, I'd try it again with frozen corn
> and run it through a sieve or other strainer before serving to get the
> remaining chunks out.
>
> gloria p

That's a great idea, I could do that if the premium corn still has the
little pieces in it! Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> Janet Puistonen wrote:
>> salgud wrote:
>>> I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed
>>> it in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was
>>> delicious! I tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the
>>> frozen corn didn't blend as well and while the taste was still
>>> good, there were little pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat
>>> the soup, not very good. I ate some of it, but threw half of it
>>> out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone else.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
>>> cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would
>>> be very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if
>>> off the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't
>>> cook it at all.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
>>> chop up fine enough in my blender? Does anyone have any experience
>>> with this kind of thing?

>> I like identifiable pieces of corn in my corn soup, but I'm not
>> familiar with the kind of soup you are making (I usually make corn
>> chowder).
>>
>> Nevertheless, if using frozen corn, I would recommend gold and white
>> sweet corn from either Green Giant or Birdseye, or shoepeg white
>> corn from GG. I've often bought store-brand yellow corn to save
>> money, and it really is much tougher and less sweet and just
>> generally not as good. GG or Birdseye yellow is usually better, but
>> nowhere near as good as shoepeg white or gold&white.

> Thanks for the help. Will try again with one of the premium brands,
> but this time, I'll try it first with a small bag of corn so I don't
> make a huge pot of mealy chowder! Never heard of the Shoepeg, but we
> certainly have the GG and Birdseye here.

Shoepeg isn't a brand, it's a variety of corn.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> > else.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> > it at all.
> >
> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> > chop up fine enough in my blender?

> You answered your own question... you obviously used some really cheapo
> frozen corn... probably generic, old tough corn with bits of cob. I
> hate to bust your bubble but unless so-called fresh corn was picked two
> hours ago it can't possibly be as good as any of the premium brands of
> frozen corn.
>
> Sheldon Birdseye

I did use the supermarket brand. Didn't know if there is any difference
in expensive corn and low-priced corn. Will try the premium stuff next
time and see how it turns out. As far as corn on the cob being fresher
than corn in a bag, I always assumed it was. It still seems unlikely to
me that GG can harvest it, shuck it, strip it from the cob, freeze it
and package it faster than a local farmer can throw it on a truck and
ship it to King Soopers, but I guess it's possible. I've never had a
need to know before now. No bubbles burst here, but possibley and old
assumption proved untrue. I'm used to that by now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> > else.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> > it at all.
> >
> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> > chop up fine enough in my blender?

> You answered your own question... you obviously used some really cheapo
> frozen corn... probably generic, old tough corn with bits of cob. I
> hate to bust your bubble but unless so-called fresh corn was picked two
> hours ago it can't possibly be as good as any of the premium brands of
> frozen corn.
>
> Sheldon Birdseye

I did use the supermarket brand. Didn't know if there is any difference
in expensive corn and low-priced corn. Will try the premium stuff next
time and see how it turns out. As far as corn on the cob being fresher
than corn in a bag, I always assumed it was. It still seems unlikely to
me that GG can harvest it, shuck it, strip it from the cob, freeze it
and package it faster than a local farmer can throw it on a truck and
ship it to King Soopers, but I guess it's possible. I've never had a
need to know before now. No bubbles burst here, but possibley and old
assumption proved untrue. I'm used to that by now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"salgud" > wrote:

> I did use the supermarket brand. Didn't know if there is any difference
> in expensive corn and low-priced corn. Will try the premium stuff next
> time and see how it turns out. As far as corn on the cob being fresher
> than corn in a bag, I always assumed it was. It still seems unlikely to
> me that GG can harvest it, shuck it, strip it from the cob, freeze it
> and package it faster than a local farmer can throw it on a truck and
> ship it to King Soopers, but I guess it's possible. I've never had a
> need to know before now. No bubbles burst here, but possibley and old
> assumption proved untrue. I'm used to that by now.

Try some "no salt added" canned corn... It's good! Since it's low sodium
canned, it's not all salty and mushy like regular canned corn is. IMHO
it's as good as the best fresh frozen corn or better...

Green Giant and many store brands now make a "no salt added" canned corn.

Same for green beans, spinach and peas. They are remarkably good.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> salgud wrote:
>> > I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
>> > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
>> > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
>> > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
>> > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
>> > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
>> > else.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
>> > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
>> > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
>> > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
>> > it at all.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
>> > chop up fine enough in my blender?

>> You answered your own question... you obviously used some really cheapo
>> frozen corn... probably generic, old tough corn with bits of cob. I
>> hate to bust your bubble but unless so-called fresh corn was picked two
>> hours ago it can't possibly be as good as any of the premium brands of
>> frozen corn.
>>
>> Sheldon Birdseye

> I did use the supermarket brand. Didn't know if there is any difference
> in expensive corn and low-priced corn. Will try the premium stuff next
> time and see how it turns out. As far as corn on the cob being fresher
> than corn in a bag, I always assumed it was. It still seems unlikely to
> me that GG can harvest it, shuck it, strip it from the cob, freeze it
> and package it faster than a local farmer can throw it on a truck and
> ship it to King Soopers, but I guess it's possible. I've never had a
> need to know before now. No bubbles burst here, but possibley and old
> assumption proved untrue. I'm used to that by now.

Green Giant and other national brands also make the private label stuff for
SOME stores. It's worth trying whatever's available. And remember that the
national brands have no monopoly on quality crops, or the technology
involved in processing them optimally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > salgud wrote:
> > > I made Mexican Corn Soup the first time a few weeks ago. Discussed it
> > > in a thread here. I used fresh corn-on-the-cob and it was delicious! I
> > > tried to re-create it using frozen corn, but the frozen corn didn't
> > > blend as well and while the taste was still good, there were little
> > > pieces of corn that you had to chew to eat the soup, not very good. I
> > > ate some of it, but threw half of it out. Wouldn't serve it to anyone
> > > else.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for the corn? The
> > > cost of using fresh corn these days, even when it's in season, would be
> > > very high. And it would take an enormous amount of time to cut if off
> > > the cobs. And most of the year it's out of season and I couldn't cook
> > > it at all.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if some of the premium brands of frozen corn would
> > > chop up fine enough in my blender?

> > You answered your own question... you obviously used some really cheapo
> > frozen corn... probably generic, old tough corn with bits of cob. I
> > hate to bust your bubble but unless so-called fresh corn was picked two
> > hours ago it can't possibly be as good as any of the premium brands of
> > frozen corn.
> >
> > Sheldon Birdseye

> I did use the supermarket brand. Didn't know if there is any difference
> in expensive corn and low-priced corn.

There's a big difference in quality between the big national name brand
frozen vegetables and the supermarket/generic products (especially with
corn)... were they the same the consumer would not be willing to pay
the greater price.

>As far as corn on the cob being fresher
> than corn in a bag, I always assumed it was. It still seems unlikely to
> me that GG can harvest it, shuck it, strip it from the cob, freeze it
> and package it faster than a local farmer can throw it on a truck and
> ship it to King Soopers, but I guess it's possible.

Not only possible that's exactly the case. Frozen corn from the big
name packers is harvested, shucked, stripped, and processed entirely
mechanically, all in the field, less than one hour from harvest to
flash frozen.... plus they constantly test their corn electronically so
it's harvested at the peak of readiness. They also spend a LOT of
dollars researching the best type of corn and growing methods, and
processing methods. No-name corn is hit and miss, bought from various
small local growers, all mixed together and processed the old fashioned
way at small processing plants... by the time it's shipped and
processed it's no longer fresh, nor are very scientific methods relied
upon for growing, harvesting, and processing... there's little to no
consistancy, it's all hit and miss.

Supermarket corn on the cob is at least a week old, probably more...
even local farm stand corn is many hours old at it's best but typically
1-2 days since picked... and then who knows how many days the consumer
has it hanging around until they get-to-it.

I'll agree that if you can get locally grown corn on the cob that's
reassonably freshly harvested then that is best for eating off the cob
but then it's specifically of a type grown to be eaten off the cob, not
well suited to be used stripped from the cob. If you want corn niblets
to use in a recipe no corn is consistantly better than the big name
brand frozen niblets. Most years I grow some corn myself... it tastes
wonderful easten off the cob because I grew it myself and I was all
ready to cook it and eat it before I picked it... but for recipes
needing niblets stripped from the cob it's not nearly as good as
Birdseye.

Sheldon