Dan Abel

Default French Steel pans vs. the Expensive Pans

In article >, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

> On 19 May 2004 06:15:16 GMT, "Curt Nelson" >
> wrote:

> >I can't help but to comment that, after watching the "Great Chefs" cooking
> >shows for years, I find it interesting that practically every hotshot chef
> >I've ever seen uses really cheap pans. I can only recall a couple ever using
> >expensive Calphalon-like cookware or even Teflon, for that matter.

> Perhaps I shouldn't comment, being w/o a TV, but when I do see chefs
> on someone else's TV, they have always been using professional gear.
> Certainly nothing cheaper than Calphalon. Teflon, no. They generally
> want to deglaze, and then throw the pan at the dishwashing station.

> Riveted handles always. Heavy always except in special cases.

> I watch what they use whenever a restaurant kitchen is visible, either
> through a window or from a counter. The same as above. Perhaps more
> relevant, since the TV chef may have been given a set of something so
> it will appear.

I've read that those tv chefs are paid to use the expensive stuff.
However, when I see a chef on tv who doesn't have their own show, they are
using really cheap, thin pans for frying. They say that the heat gets
transferred from the stove to the food more quickly that way, since they
don't have to get the pans heated up, and time is money.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University