Werner Saurer

Default French Steel pans vs. the Expensive Pans

BJ42 wrote:
> I currently have a stainless steel Lagostina set but have moved towards the
> french steel pans sold at restaurant supply stores.
>
> Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am assuming
> restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and all-clad?
>
> Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used the
> lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
> preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer and
> why?
>
> Have a great night/day !
>
> Stefan

Hi,

I think the steel pans (or cast iron, for that matter) take more care
than stainless and may not look as "nice". But I agree with you, I'd
prefer a nice steel pan over a stainless one. Whenever the natural
grease coating wears off I use the pan to make pancakes, and the natural
non-stick surface is restored.

--Werner