Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran[_1_] Margaret Suran[_1_] is offline

Default An appeal for a cherry marmalade recipe

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . net>,
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

>>Mr L. I., you are so funny. I do not have to compliment her if I want
>>more of her delicious jams and jellies, I BUY them from her when I
>>need some more. Sure, at times I have to wait until she makes more,
>>but the wait is worth the while. )

> Thanks a lot. Now you've made me out to look like a piker who's never
> GIVEN you any. I cry for crushed heart. Maggie.

Proper decorum dictates that you do not tell others about a gift you
received, if you are not certain that the others received the same
present from that donor.

Thus, knowing how foolish the young are, I tried to protect you. What
do you think would have happened if I would have told Mr. L. I. that I
do not have to compliment you, that you will send me all the free jams
and jellies and butters and preserves, if I ask you to do so?

This is not so, of course. While I get an occasional generous gift of
your jams and jellies, I do not ask for more. I might hint, but that
is another story. It is much more convenient to find out whether
there are some extra jars available and buy them. They have become my
hostess gift of choice. When Terry and Sue and Stan and a couple more
came here for lunch, each one got a goodie bag with a jar of your
jam. When Terry posted here about the lunch, she referred to it as
the highlight of the lunch, or something similar. )

Therefore, imagine if I would have said that you give me all the jams
and jellies I want. What would your other friends have thought? "Why
Margaret and not I", that's what. They would have been sad. You
would have had to send jars to each and every one of them, in order to
cheer them up. I have reason to believe that your crushed heart is
smoothing out and your tears are drying up.