Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default An appeal for a cherry marmalade recipe

Anny Middon wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>

> I LOVE cherry preserves, but fail to imagine the charm of cherry
> marmalade - do the skins get candi-fied, like in orange marmalade? If
> not, then they would be really, really annoying. I'd stick with
> preserves myself.
>
> I suspect the OP is looking for a recipe that includes both cherries and
> citrus fruit/peels. I have made cranberry marmalade and blueberry marmalade
> and that's what they are -- the first is kind of a mix between cranberry jam
> and orange marmalade and the second is blueberry jam and orange/lemon
> marmalade. The blueberry marmalade recipe is especially yummy; I thought
> the cranberry marmalade recipe was too sweet -- anything craberry should
> have some tartness in my book.
>
> I think I've seen a recipe for cherry marmalade. If I get the chance I'll
> look for it.
>
> Anny

I assumed "Uncle Ned" was just using the wrong word when he said marmalade.

Here's a berry and lemon jam that I've made before using blueberries and
it's quite good. I think you could use cherries and thinly sliced
lemons and end up with something kind of marmalade-like. The lemons
provide the pectin. (Yes, you use the whole peels, not just the zest)

Blackberry Lemon Jam
(from _Farm Journal_)

2 lemons, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cup water
6 cups blackberries
7 cups sugar

Combine lemons and water and cook for 20 minutes. Add berries and sugar
and continue cooking 20 minutes or until thickened. Pour into sterile
jars, leaving 1/4 headspace, seal, process in BWB canner for 5 minutes.

--
Best regards,
Bob