Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Decaf Pu Erh?

Lewis Perin wrote:
> I think you're onto something here. Good Pu'er usually gets better
> for a few steeps, and it can stand high temperatures, which also helps
> get the caffeine out. If you're really sensitive to caffeine, 30 to
> 60 seconds might not be enough to get the caffeine level down enough.

Yes, with Pu-Erh especially the wasted brews aren't really a bad thing,
so th eOP is a bit lucky. A 30 second rinse followed by a 1 minute
steep discarded should bring it down significantly.

> Sorry, but I don't think this makes sense. I've never seen any
> evidence that delicate green teas have less caffeine than
> e.g. red/black teas. And greens really don't like high temperatures.

Caffeine Content Comparisons
The following is the approximate caffeine content of various beverages
(Based on 8oz. of tea)
Item | Milligrams of Caffeine | Average per serving Range
Coffee (5 oz. cup) 80 40 - 170
Cola (12 oz. can) 45 30 - 60
Black Tea (one tea bag) 40 25 - 110
Oolong Tea (one tea bag) 30 12 - 55
Green Tea (one tea bag) 20 8 - 30
White Tea (one tea bag) 15 6 - 25
Decaf Tea (one tea bag) 2 1 - 4
Herbal Tea (one tea bag) 0 0

* Hopefully the gods of formatting were semi kind and the above is
readable.

I drink a lot of green tea, and I can say that I can feel less caffiene
from more delicate greens than heavier ones. This is only my anecdotal
evidence and personal opinion though, I have not tested it. White/Green
tea does indeed contain less caffiene though than an oolong or black
tea. A good white tea like silver needles generally is a nice
in-between of a white and a light green.

- Dominic