Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Decaf Pu Erh?

I have to admit that caffeine has defeated me. I'm finding myself unable
to drink teas regularly without getting a bit wound up in the evening
sometimes. But I -=miss=- tea so! There are so many intriguing flavors.

So I checked out some decaf teas, but they taste like they have a whole
shot through their middle, seemingly whether I go cheap or pricey.

Is there such a thing as a decaf Pu Erh or Liu An or similar? I'm
wondering if the earthiness of Pu Erh might fill the whole with dirt, as
it were. I tried googling for "decaf puerh" and "decaf pu erh", but
didn't find much.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I have to admit that caffeine has defeated me. I'm finding myself unable
> to drink teas regularly without getting a bit wound up in the evening
> sometimes. But I -=miss=- tea so! There are so many intriguing flavors.
>
> So I checked out some decaf teas, but they taste like they have a whole
> shot through their middle, seemingly whether I go cheap or pricey.
>
> Is there such a thing as a decaf Pu Erh or Liu An or similar? I'm
> wondering if the earthiness of Pu Erh might fill the whole with dirt, as
> it were. I tried googling for "decaf puerh" and "decaf pu erh", but
> didn't find much.
>
> Thanks!

I always hate to say never, but I think I'll pull it out here... you
will never find a decaf pu-erh or Liu An. Instead let me offer a few
suggestions:

1. Pu-Erh generally receives a rinse first no matter what and is good
for multiple steeps. So follow that rinse with a 30 second to 1 minute
brew and toss that as well. At this point the caffiene should be much
lower.

2. Drink less quantity. Instead of sitting down to a large pot of tea,
make a very small yixing potfull and have only two or three steeps,
about 8-10oz. total.

3. Try some other types of tea, instead of strong fermented black teas
try some white or green teas something along the lines of a Pi Lo Chun
that is very light and delicate... and even these can be reduced with a
30 second steep discarded first before brewing.

My final suggestion is to take the tea in a calm and relaxed setting,
some calming meditation music or chinese folk instrumentals or
classical and make it a relaxing experience, your level of stimulation
will be much lower and you should be fine.

Some people are more tolerant than others with caffiene, so what may
work for others will not work for you. But at least you have a few
options to try.

- Dominic
Drinking: PG Tips

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Solution: drink tea, then a cocktail. speedball it. it'll put you to
sleep

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I have to admit that caffeine has defeated me. I'm finding myself unable
> to drink teas regularly without getting a bit wound up in the evening
> sometimes. But I -=miss=- tea so! There are so many intriguing flavors.
>
> So I checked out some decaf teas, but they taste like they have a whole
> shot through their middle, seemingly whether I go cheap or pricey.
>
> Is there such a thing as a decaf Pu Erh or Liu An or similar? I'm
> wondering if the earthiness of Pu Erh might fill the whole with dirt, as
> it were. I tried googling for "decaf puerh" and "decaf pu erh", but
> didn't find much.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

Drink wine. It's decaf, as far as I know, I think, maybe...

But seriously, I read that caffeine is a very water soluble compound,
If that's the case, then Dominic T's suggestion above (toss the first
30-second brew) is spot on for reducing caffeine level significantly.

Jason F in Los Angeles wrote:
> Solution: drink tea, then a cocktail. speedball it. it'll put you to
> sleep

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > writes:

> Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > I have to admit that caffeine has defeated me. I'm finding myself unable
> > to drink teas regularly without getting a bit wound up in the evening
> > sometimes. But I -=miss=- tea so! There are so many intriguing flavors.
> >
> > So I checked out some decaf teas, but they taste like they have a whole
> > shot through their middle, seemingly whether I go cheap or pricey.
> >
> > Is there such a thing as a decaf Pu Erh or Liu An or similar? I'm
> > wondering if the earthiness of Pu Erh might fill the whole with dirt, as
> > it were. I tried googling for "decaf puerh" and "decaf pu erh", but
> > didn't find much.
> >
> > Thanks!

> I always hate to say never, but I think I'll pull it out here... you
> will never find a decaf pu-erh or Liu An. Instead let me offer a few
> suggestions:
>
> 1. Pu-Erh generally receives a rinse first no matter what and is good
> for multiple steeps. So follow that rinse with a 30 second to 1 minute
> brew and toss that as well. At this point the caffiene should be much
> lower.

I think you're onto something here. Good Pu'er usually gets better
for a few steeps, and it can stand high temperatures, which also helps
get the caffeine out. If you're really sensitive to caffeine, 30 to
60 seconds might not be enough to get the caffeine level down enough.

> [...]
>
> 3. Try some other types of tea, instead of strong fermented black teas
> try some white or green teas something along the lines of a Pi Lo Chun
> that is very light and delicate... and even these can be reduced with a
> 30 second steep discarded first before brewing.

Sorry, but I don't think this makes sense. I've never seen any
evidence that delicate green teas have less caffeine than
e.g. red/black teas. And greens really don't like high temperatures.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> I think you're onto something here. Good Pu'er usually gets better
> for a few steeps, and it can stand high temperatures, which also helps
> get the caffeine out. If you're really sensitive to caffeine, 30 to
> 60 seconds might not be enough to get the caffeine level down enough.

Yes, with Pu-Erh especially the wasted brews aren't really a bad thing,
so th eOP is a bit lucky. A 30 second rinse followed by a 1 minute
steep discarded should bring it down significantly.

> Sorry, but I don't think this makes sense. I've never seen any
> evidence that delicate green teas have less caffeine than
> e.g. red/black teas. And greens really don't like high temperatures.

Caffeine Content Comparisons
The following is the approximate caffeine content of various beverages
(Based on 8oz. of tea)
Item | Milligrams of Caffeine | Average per serving Range
Coffee (5 oz. cup) 80 40 - 170
Cola (12 oz. can) 45 30 - 60
Black Tea (one tea bag) 40 25 - 110
Oolong Tea (one tea bag) 30 12 - 55
Green Tea (one tea bag) 20 8 - 30
White Tea (one tea bag) 15 6 - 25
Decaf Tea (one tea bag) 2 1 - 4
Herbal Tea (one tea bag) 0 0

* Hopefully the gods of formatting were semi kind and the above is
readable.

I drink a lot of green tea, and I can say that I can feel less caffiene
from more delicate greens than heavier ones. This is only my anecdotal
evidence and personal opinion though, I have not tested it. White/Green
tea does indeed contain less caffiene though than an oolong or black
tea. A good white tea like silver needles generally is a nice
in-between of a white and a light green.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've heard that a 60 second steep will remove 95% of caffeine. That's with
a teabag though, more surface area, you might need to finely break the pu up
or steep longer.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > [...]
> > Sorry, but I don't think this makes sense. I've never seen any
> > evidence that delicate green teas have less caffeine than
> > e.g. red/black teas. And greens really don't like high temperatures.

> Caffeine Content Comparisons
> The following is the approximate caffeine content of various beverages
> (Based on 8oz. of tea)
> Item | Milligrams of Caffeine | Average per serving Range
> Coffee (5 oz. cup) 80 40 - 170
> Cola (12 oz. can) 45 30 - 60
> Black Tea (one tea bag) 40 25 - 110
> Oolong Tea (one tea bag) 30 12 - 55
> Green Tea (one tea bag) 20 8 - 30
> White Tea (one tea bag) 15 6 - 25
> Decaf Tea (one tea bag) 2 1 - 4
> Herbal Tea (one tea bag) 0 0

What's your source for this? Did they brew the different kinds of tea
the same way?

If you look at this caffeine analysis of many teas of each type

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/teacaffeine.htm

you'll see there's essentially no trend across the different types.
As Nigel Melican, a consultant to tea growers and manufacturers who
occasionally posts here, said a couple of years ago,

All of which goes to show that quoting any particular caffeine
percentage for a given tea type (and many people do) should be
fringed with caveats and exact data given as to how it was processed
and when it was grown. In the main none of this information is
available to the producer, let alone the seller.

> [...]
> I drink a lot of green tea, and I can say that I can feel less caffiene
> from more delicate greens than heavier ones.

I would guess that, like most people who know tea, you brew delicate
ones differently, giving them less heat and/or brewing time. That
would yield less caffeine per steep.

> This is only my anecdotal evidence and personal opinion though, I
> have not tested it. White/Green tea does indeed contain less
> caffiene though than an oolong or black tea. A good white tea like
> silver needles generally is a nice in-between of a white and a light
> green.

I'm sorry I can't find a reference for this right now, but I'm sure
I've read that tea buds - used in Silver Needles - actually are higher
in caffeine than tea leaves, and that young leaves have more caffeine
than mature ones. I seem to remember an evolutionary explanation for
this related to protecting the most valuable parts of the plant from
insect predation.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> What's your source for this? Did they brew the different kinds of tea
> the same way?

Those numbers came from Stash tea co. and were just an example, I
understand it is a debated topic and I'm really not into caring about
it enough to debate it. If it is bunk so be it, I was just offering
something to show the OP and you. I have found many similar charts and
I have also seen charts with barely no variation... FWIW.

> I would guess that, like most people who know tea, you brew delicate
> ones differently, giving them less heat and/or brewing time. That
> would yield less caffeine per steep.

Which is why I said it. It isn't that I'm suggesting killing it with
high heat or long steeps just that a quick rinse steep and a light
infusion or two would help.

To be true decaf it needs to be 98%+ free, the best you will do with a
discarded 5 minute brew is 65%-75% - Food research International, Vol
29, 325-330 (1996)

I would think a 65%-75% reduction would be pretty damn good to solve
the OP's dilema.

> I'm sorry I can't find a reference for this right now, but I'm sure
> I've read that tea buds - used in Silver Needles - actually are higher
> in caffeine than tea leaves, and that young leaves have more caffeine
> than mature ones. I seem to remember an evolutionary explanation for
> this related to protecting the most valuable parts of the plant from
> insect predation.

Umm, not to be a dick but even in the link you provided you can clearly
see that Silver Needles is lower than the other whites and many of the
greens just as I said... it is an inbetween and a good choice for
someone caring about caffiene as the OP.

As I've said before, and again here, I have no care for technical
analysis of tea. If I drink a tea and it keeps me awake then I don't
drink it before bed. If I drink a tea and it calms me I drink it in the
evenings before bed. In either case the actual caffiene data may not
match with me... but what does it matter? To me it is all very simple,
and requires no pie charts, bar graphs, or analytical equipment. I was
just offering some suggestions, they may work they may not.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > writes:

> [...which tea has more caffeine...]
>
> I'm sorry I can't find a reference for this right now, but I'm sure
> I've read that tea buds - used in Silver Needles - actually are higher
> in caffeine than tea leaves, and that young leaves have more caffeine
> than mature ones. I seem to remember an evolutionary explanation for
> this related to protecting the most valuable parts of the plant from
> insect predation.

Well, I've found a reference for at least part of the above. In
Barundeb Banerjee, _Tea Production and Processing_ (1993, New Delhi
and Calcutta), it's stated that young shoots have more caffeine than
mature leaves on p. 285. Unfortunately, the book has nothing to say
about buds as opposed to the leaves in young shoots.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2006-09-13, Dominic T. > wrote:
> Umm, not to be a dick but even in the link you provided you can clearly
> see that Silver Needles is lower than the other whites and many of the
> greens just as I said... it is an inbetween and a good choice for
> someone caring about caffiene as the OP.

That statement is surely referring to buds v. older leaves in the same
plant. I think their numbers show well that across varietals, growing
regions, processing styles, etc., generalizations are not particularly
feasible.

Another possibility: Dog Ma has opined here in the past that since
caffeine is highly water soluble, steeping the leaves in room temp
water for a while (and discarding it) before brewing them in hot might
leave a satisfactory flavor with less caffeine.

Since the interesting thing to be measured isn't exact caffeine levels
in the cup so much as the OP's response to it in specific brewed tea,
I agree that trying different teas, discarding initial steeps, etc.,
seems like a good things to try.

N.

Decaf expresso? splitload Coffee 2 14-02-2006 11:18 PM
Decaf is for pussies! [email protected] Coffee 0 23-12-2004 08:02 PM
Decaf is for pussies! [email protected] Coffee 0 23-12-2004 08:02 PM
Decaf Darjeeling #881 Blair P. Houghton Tea 0 04-06-2004 04:46 AM
decaf vs regular Toni Rosati Coffee 1 06-11-2003 10:14 AM