Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Decaf Pu Erh?

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I have to admit that caffeine has defeated me. I'm finding myself unable
> to drink teas regularly without getting a bit wound up in the evening
> sometimes. But I -=miss=- tea so! There are so many intriguing flavors.
>
> So I checked out some decaf teas, but they taste like they have a whole
> shot through their middle, seemingly whether I go cheap or pricey.
>
> Is there such a thing as a decaf Pu Erh or Liu An or similar? I'm
> wondering if the earthiness of Pu Erh might fill the whole with dirt, as
> it were. I tried googling for "decaf puerh" and "decaf pu erh", but
> didn't find much.
>
> Thanks!

I always hate to say never, but I think I'll pull it out here... you
will never find a decaf pu-erh or Liu An. Instead let me offer a few
suggestions:

1. Pu-Erh generally receives a rinse first no matter what and is good
for multiple steeps. So follow that rinse with a 30 second to 1 minute
brew and toss that as well. At this point the caffiene should be much
lower.

2. Drink less quantity. Instead of sitting down to a large pot of tea,
make a very small yixing potfull and have only two or three steeps,
about 8-10oz. total.

3. Try some other types of tea, instead of strong fermented black teas
try some white or green teas something along the lines of a Pi Lo Chun
that is very light and delicate... and even these can be reduced with a
30 second steep discarded first before brewing.

My final suggestion is to take the tea in a calm and relaxed setting,
some calming meditation music or chinese folk instrumentals or
classical and make it a relaxing experience, your level of stimulation
will be much lower and you should be fine.

Some people are more tolerant than others with caffiene, so what may
work for others will not work for you. But at least you have a few
options to try.

- Dominic
Drinking: PG Tips