Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Pumpkins in Africa

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 19:00:57 -0600, Jack Schmidling >
wrote:

>The book series "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" (Botswana)make frequent
>references to pumpkins as some sort of "food of the gods". Little kids
>go bonkers when they learn there is pumpkin for dinner.
>
>What on earth sort of "pumpkin" could they be talking about?

I have decided that people "on the other side of the pond" call every
squash "pumpkin", but mostly they are talking about butternut squash.

>I have made reasonable efforts to eat pumpkin but other than pie and
>soup, it leaves me cold compared to sever squashes which I really love.
> I find what we call pumpkin barely palatable.
>
>On the other hand, the books are probably the best I have run into since
> Dickens. I have only heard them on tape and the narrator really is
>half of what makes them wonderful.

I tried reading a "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" one time, but was
bored to tears by it. I don't like Agatha Christie either.