Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jack Schmidling[_1_] Jack Schmidling[_1_] is offline

Default Pumpkins in Africa

The book series "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" (Botswana)make frequent
references to pumpkins as some sort of "food of the gods". Little kids
go bonkers when they learn there is pumpkin for dinner.

What on earth sort of "pumpkin" could they be talking about?

I have made reasonable efforts to eat pumpkin but other than pie and
soup, it leaves me cold compared to sever squashes which I really love.
I find what we call pumpkin barely palatable.

On the other hand, the books are probably the best I have run into since
Dickens. I have only heard them on tape and the narrator really is
half of what makes them wonderful.

js