Posted to alt.food.wine
Ben Snyder[_1_] Ben Snyder[_1_] is offline

Default Introduction

Hello all

Since I've asked a couple questions recently, I thought it would be a
good idea to introduce myself.

I'm a married guy (wife and four kids) in southern Vermont, USA. I've
loved wine since I was old enough to drink it, though never really got
too far into it. Started a very small collection, totaled about a case,
about six years ago. At the time I liked Beaujolais-Villages, some
light Cabs, and number one was Alsatian Gewurztraminer. After moving to
VT and keeping only a few bottles from the collection, I found no one to
enjoy wine with. Wife doesn't drink at all.

Several months ago, my brother-in-law watched Sideways. He was so
inspired by it that he came to visit, and declared we will now be wine
aficionados. OK, no problem here. Since then, every week I have hosted
a wine tasting/family meal for both of our families. Which is
excellent, I love to cook, and of course wine :-)

The good part of this is obvious - someone to enjoy wine with. Hardest
part was getting brother-in-law off of the Pinot kick. Tasting pinots
side by side every week gets a little tedious. Sideways, I love you and
hate you... But thankfully now we have branched out into different
wines. When I purchase a bottle of white, it's usually not embraced
with open arms, though it does get tasted and enjoyed. The rose I have
for today is really going to cause a stir...

I happen to prefer reds as long as they are not too tannic, pretty much
equal preference between a French style and California style. For
whites, I still enjoy the rose and lychee nose of a good Gewurz, and
Sauvignon Blanc on occasion. Only had one Chard which I enjoyed, but it
was really, really good. I'm learning more about French wines, but
Italian wines are still a mystery to me. And mostly I stick to the
mid-grade wines, with the rare foray into the upper-mid grade offerings.

After I get some more experience with coherent tasting notes, I'll be
posting them.

-ben