Old 10-08-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default Best Apple Pie in the Known Universe!

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

(I'm so friggin' tired I can't see straight, but I can't sleep, so you
guys get recipes)

The sour cream really mellows out the flavor of this pie filling. It's
not sickenly, cloyingly sweet, like so many apple pies are.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mom's Sour Cream Apple Pie

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Family Recipes Pies and Pastries

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pounds peeled apple slices

Combine first five (dry) ingredients.
Cover bottom of unbaked, 9-inch pie shell with 1/4 of mixture.
Stir remaining mixture into sour cream.
Slice apples 1/8-inch thick, and stir into sour cream mixture..
Place mixture into pie shell and cover with top pastry. Let rest 10
minutes.
Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
Bake at 450F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325F, and bake about 45
minutes, or until apples are done.

IMPORTANT: Cool 3 to 4 hours on rack before cutting.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"Pat Zastera (Carol's Mom)"

Oh good! Thanks for the reminder, Carol. You know my recipe
is a bit different.... I like the idea of slicing the apples
instead of chopping them.... I hadn't noticed that before.

--
Jean B.