Posted to rec.food.baking
Richard Hollenbeck Richard Hollenbeck is offline

Default OH NO!!! I forgot the oil!

Thank you.

The cake did, in fact, turn out satisfactory, but the texture was very
wrong. It didn't taste dry, but I learned that chiffon cake should have a
certain feel which this apparently didn't have. I showed it to my mom who
predicted it would probably be more like a lemon angelfood cake, but after
tasting it, she said it tastes more like a lemon chiffon cake than any kind
of angelfood cake, but the sponge was wrong. Nevertheless, after the lemon
glaze had a chance to soak-in, it tasted pretty good, and I concur with her
opinion. I'm happy the batter was so forgiving. I couldn't as easily get
away with that making bread. I can't usually eat cake, though I can drink a
pint of hot sauce without consequences. I don't know why; maybe it's
because of some crazy combination of the fat and sugar content. This cake
didn't give me an upset stomach. Maybe next time I will cut the fat in half
or by a third **but not fail to include it**. That way I will be able to
safely eat it and somewhat approximate the correct texture.

By the way, I didn't have the opportunity to use the standard 10" x 4" tube
pan with the removeable sides because I don't have one. Instead I used a
bundt pan. It was difficult to remove from the pan, probably because of my
failure to include the oil.

I hope you're not suggesting folding in the oil AFTER folding the yoke
mixture into the stiffly-peaked egg whites if I forgot to add it earlier.
I'm pretty sure that once the whites are folded in, it's already too late to
start thinking about adding the oil, but I could be wrong.

Rich

ups.com...