Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wizzzer Wizzzer is offline

Default Sweet Potato/Yam vs. Regular white potatos

Hi Horse Thief,

I find that neither sweet potatoes nor yams bother my BG
anywhere near as much as regular potatoes. With the sweet
potatoes, you can just nuke them, skins are thin, do it just
like a regular baked or boiled potato. The yams, which you
can identify by the pointed ends, have very thick skins. In
the Ozarks, both are called sweet potatoes, but there is a big
difference. Yams are MUCH sweeter, skin much tougher. It
depends on what you want to use them for. The sweet potato
makes a dandy French fry, Some restaurants here serve them,
but yams don't. Yams are great with turkey and ham, I prefer
them as a holiday veggie. I'm sure there are going to be a
bunch of people responding to this, both are good, depends on
what you want to use them for and most people (as the stores
around here) don't know the difference. I noticed 2 days ago
that our local store had both in the same bin. I stocked up
on yams... they usually are much more expensive than sweet
potatoes. If it looks like a regular potato with blunt ends,
it's a sweet potato. If it has pointed ends, it's a yam. Buy
one of each... Split them in half, toss both in the mic,
you'll see there is a big difference.
Cheers, Wizzzer